Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2004, 12:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

False Percs aggressive towards Dwarf Angels?

Lately, my two false Percs have been aggressive towards my Coral Beauty. Any time either clown see the Angel coming near them, they immediately nip at it and chase it away. This has never happened in the past (had them all for over 6 months) and only started about 3 weeks ago. They are not aggressive like this towards my yellow tail Damsel and Royal Gramma.

Any reason behind this behavior? Could they be mating and for whatever reason, not like that the Angel is here?

If it continues I am going to have to trade in my favorite fish. Its tail is continually ragged now because of the constant nipping and fighting...

Old 04-09-2004, 01:43 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Sometimes fish will show aggression towards fish because they have the same color. I had a neon dottyback get aggressive towards a flame angel before. It only took a couple of butt whuppins from the angel to make ol neon realize it was a dumb idea.

Old 04-09-2004, 05:53 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Sounds like a mating behavior or territorial issue.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 06:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Sometimes fish will show aggression towards fish because they have the same color. I had a neon dottyback get aggressive towards a flame angel before. It only took a couple of butt whuppins from the angel to make ol neon realize it was a dumb idea.
This is the exact behavior my gramma shows toward my yellow tail damsel. They are always sparring. But my clowns don't look anything like the coral beauty...

Quote:
Sounds like a mating behavior or territorial issue.
I thought it was territorial as well, but anytime either clown see the angel anywhere in the tank, they chase it away. Perhaps the clowns think the whole tank is their territory...

I am wondering if it is them mating and are a little on edge. Like I said, this is new.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Quote:
But my clowns don't look anything like the coral beauty...
I was refering to the orange color both of them have.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I went ahead and decided to take him out and put him in my QT tank so that I can heal his fins up. I guess I am going to have to trade him in for something else as I don't want to risk the same injuries over again.

Really stinks as this was my favorite fish in the whole tank. I guess I will go research DSB safe bleenys and gobys.

Tags
aggressive, angel, angels, dwarf, dwarf angel, rcs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com