false percula? true percula?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianeww

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Could someone tell me the difference if any between these two species (false and true percula clowns) besides the slight difference in coloring? Is one or the other easier to keep? Fussier? Friendlier? Anything? Thanks....I'd like to get a pair of one or the other. Which do you like best and why?

false are actually ocellaris found western-pacific while true percs are found in the indo-pacific.

Most of the time "false" percula clowns dont have as good of colors as true, but are usally much cheaper.

I think if your considering on getting a pair make sure to get them young so they actually pair up together. This way they will swim together usually all the time. I would recommend ocellaris usually have a lower temper than true percs do. And are more friendly IME. HTH

Is one or the other easier to keep? Fussier? Friendlier? Anything? Thanks....I'd like to get a pair of one or the other. Which do you like best and why?

Dianeww, I just picked up a pair of Ocellaris Clowns yesterday at a LFS here in Atlanta. I too was having trouble deciding whether to get Percula or Ocellaris until I read that the Ocellaris are hardier fish. Since I am new to aquarium keeping, I specifically want fish that have a better chance of making it through the long haul :wink:. So far all is well - they seem to be adapting nicely to the QT tank. Just make sure if you get a pair that one of the two is larger than the other. Good luck!

Shannon

Back
Top Bottom