Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2005, 09:25 PM   #1
zacdl

False? True? Clownfish???????

Whats up with the false/true thing?
Old 03-15-2005, 01:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to thelovablebum Send a message via MSN to thelovablebum Send a message via Yahoo to thelovablebum
heres a site that shows you the difference between the two

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/clo.../blpercula.htm

Old 03-15-2005, 12:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Most of the guys you'll find in the pet shops are Ocellarius Clowns or "false percs"

These are usually the tank breed variety and they look much prettier than what you see in the pics on that site. (I have two of them in my gallery)

If you want true Percs, they will most likely be wild caught.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelovablebum
heres a site that shows you the difference between the two

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/clo.../blpercula.htm
Ocellaris adult size is bigger than percs. Ocellaris have less black on body. Ocellaris grow faster and considered more hardy of the two. Ocellaris are usually cheaper than percs.

I don't agree with the this statement it makes about ocellaris "It never has the black edged borders around its white bars. "
That's not completelty true. I've seen many ocellaris with black borders. I've even owned a couple.

I also find it very hard to count the dorsal spines on a moving fish. Many clown breeders will tell you that this method is not very good because ocellaris and percs can both have 10 or 11 spines.

The quickest way to tell the two apart is by looking at it's eye. Ocellaris wil have a muddy looking outer ring( see pic above). Percs will have a clearer outer ring(see pic below).

You can also buy captive bred percs but it isn't as common as ocellaris. IMO it's because percs growth rates are a lot slower when compared to ocellaris and rreeders are able to pump out more ocellaris to be ready for sale because of this.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

well now my Ocellaris have distinct black lines between the orange and white, but their eyes are not as dark as your pic Klam....

However, they definatly do seem to be Ocellaris....hmm...
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Old 03-15-2005, 02:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Using the eye method is the quickest and most accurate way to distinguish the two. Sometimes ocellaris eyes are not as muddy but if you look at a percs eye you will be able to tell it's a perc for sure. Ocellaris tend to be a little more difficult to ID because of that. There are many percs that don't have a lot of black on there bodies either and look jsut like ocellaris, this where the eye method helps. Like anything there is always the exception to the rule.

I've read many many post of the for this question on telling them apart. Almost everytime well know clown fish breeders will say look at the eyes, it's a dead giveaway. This is the method I use now. In the beginings I use to try and count the spines, that never worked very well on a moving fish.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by klam
In the beginings I use to try and count the spines, that never worked very well on a moving fish.
especially with the way those crazy little guys swim! LOL!

Tags
clown, clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com