Fanworms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm a newbie at SW and i just got a fan worm. It's been about a week and it seems to be doing fine, but I don't know how to feed it or what to do to keep it alive. I have a well cycled 20 gal SW tank with 2 small perculas, one fiji blue devil, 1 sand crab, and 3 sand bugs.

Also, are you supposed to bury part of it in the substrate? How does it stand up?

You can place them where you wish for them to be. Being careful not to crush them, I placed mine between 2 rocks again being gental ..... They will bury themselfs if they wish usually IME they will attach to a rock or such . To stand them up place a small piece of rubble under them to "perch" on .They are filter feeders that will benifit from a very light once or twice feeding of phytoplankton .Phyto can foul your water quickly so use spareingly ....I use a med syringe to measure out and place in 1.5 units per feeding.

I just got some phyto at the LFS. They had live phyto in the fridge and other phyto on the shelf for a lower price. I asked if the phyto would live in the tank and multiply. Their "expert" said no, it would just get filtered out. I brought the stuff home and put 2 tiny drops in my 20 gal which has one fan as the only filter feeder. Does this sound reasonable? There were several kinds of phyto on the shelf. How do I know which kind is best?

Really it is just trial and error to see which works best for you .. I have the stuff that you refridgerate , tho it all should be after opening IMHHO ... Also shake it well as it settles to the bottom ... I would say that the 2 drops seems reasonable , and wont over do it in your tank ...:)

I use DT`s phytoplankton. It`s supposed to be live. I would follow the directions on how much to add to the tank but I would go longer on how often. For example if it says every day I would do every three days to keep from fouling up your tank. JMO and IME.

Back
Top Bottom