Fat clown fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
one of my clown fish is getting fat. his/her underbelly is growing. i dont know if i am over feeding or since this is the larger one of the 2 clowns i have it might be getting ready to lay eggs. i think i have seen a size increase in the past few days. I am not shure if this is due to feeding them a few times a day or not. i feed small pinchs 2-3 times a day

about 1 month ago i got my other Oclown. when i bought him he was very very small less then half the size of the existing clown. so i bumped up feedings to help with the fighing over food. since then they both have grown alot, and there color has got bolder and brighter. i have no other fish in my tank just the two clowns. i notice my larger clown changed his sleeping place to the front right corner instead of the front left. durning the day he hangs around my toadstool and host it while the light are on. the other clown has adopted the back top right corner as his and dont stray to far from his home til its time to eat. i do see them swim side by side some times and they dont pick at each other any more so i guess all is good there. i just wanted to know if it is possible for these clowns to spawn at such a early age.

Frogspawn said:
so i bumped up feedings to help with the fighing over food. since then they both have grown alot, and there color has got bolder and brighter.

Dont make the mistake of thinking your fish look bigger and more color because you feed 2-3 times a day.I feed my clowns every other day and they have excellent growth and color. It`s kind of hard to tell without a pic about the fish getting fat. Post a pic if you can. We all know how I feel about feeding every other day but that`s choice you`ll have to make. If you can create excellent water parameters while feeding that much then continue to do so. I hope all is well with your Clown.

well i use to feed every other day till i added the second clown. then when i fed every other day they fought over food. so some one on here mention that mabey i should feed smaller feedings 2-3 times. so i did and they stoped fighting. if u think i should go back to every other day i will. and i would love to post a pic but i cant it says i reached my limit of 2 mb. how can i fix this? then i will post a pic

I sent your post on the pics not downloading to the site help area check that area for an answer

If you are having good results and excellent water conditions then I`d leave it like it is. Be sure to check nitrates and ammonia often. I just wanted to dispel the myth that you have to feed several times a day to have healthy and colorful fish. Every other day here for 9+ yrs now.

Just wanted to explain what I meant about the dispelling of myths. I`m not saying you have to feed every other day, I`m just saying that you dont have to feed couple times a day to get special growth or colors. If your experience is feeding multiple times a day and your tank can handle it then go for it. I`m just saying everybody`s experience are different. Frogspawn I hope you get your pic situation solved.

well i took a close look at the larger clown this morning and i dont see his large belly any more. mabey i just only noticed it when i was feeding him. do the fishs belly tend to get larger as they gorge them selfs with food? mabey thats what happen. he looks great today. he wont stop looking at me! i think hes telling me to feed him lol

Alot of times also fish will experience bloating in the stomach area. Whether it`s overfeeding or gas I dont know but if it disapeared that fast I would think it was just bloating.

I saw in another post that you were going to feeding every other day and even though I do this and suggest it I would not go from a 2-3 times a day to every other day cold turkey. I would feed every day for a while and then if you feel like it then go to it later. I would imagine that it would be rough on the fish going from those two extremes so fast. JMO

good idea. mabey i will cut back to 2 times a day then next week cut back to a single feeding and then the following week cut back to every other day genius melousu

I`d maybe draw it out a little longer. If you wanted to half your food you could feed every day. So many options out there when it comes to feeding.

Back
Top Bottom