favite/moon coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electrikat

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone know or know where I can find out this? Our favite/moon coral is showing signs of skeletal growth/death on the edge of one side. Does anyone know if it is growth or dying? It's white sharp edges as though the polyps have died, but I was hoping that thes grow white edges when they are adding to the skeleton. Any help would be appreciated.

The skelaton and flesh generally grow at the same rate so new growth will look much the same but shallower in depth. What your describing sounds like a recession. Usually caused by excessive water flow, coral warfare or possibley something amiss with water quality or skewed chem. Placement can also be an issue. These types of corals do best on a soft substrate with a clear area around them.

Can you give a rundown on the numbers as well as coral placement and nearby corals?

Cheers
Steve

amm 0
nitrite 0
nitrate less than 5ppm
cal 600 or so (yeah it's high)
ph 8.2
temp 80
phos less that the lowest on the kit
alk 4.5 deq/l
copper 0

Yeah it's on a rock and it's nearest mate is a fuzzy mushroom rock about 4 inches away.

Your chem is extremely high. I would suggest a few good water changes to bring that back down closer to NSW levels. High calcium can cause actually cause the flesh to release from the skelaton if maintained over a long period.

The shroom shouldn't be too much a concern but being on the rock is not a good choice. You should really keep these types of corals on the substrate. Hard surfaces/irritants are one of the leading causes of recessions. Also be sure their is no direct or sustained flow towards the moon coral.

The amount of light you have could also be a contributor but that would moreso be shown in terms of bleaching. Basically the flesh becomes white so be sure that is not what your seeing. Brain corals in general do best in med-low HO reef lighting. In some cases where MH is used, these types of corals might need a bit of shade.

Cheers
Steve

Ok thanks. I will move it down to the substrate and towards the end of the tank to get him out of the direct path. The tank is a 90 tall so that should be enough to cut down on the lighting. However I have done many, many water changes since the ca got high(I caused it by adding ca when I didn't have a test kit yet). However it is only going down a very little at a time. It was at 750 about 6 water changes ago. I'm hoping that since I have added some corals with skeletons, about 100 snails and crabs, and two crocea clams, that the ca will start being used up by them and start dropping at a faster rate.

I would do larger water changes then. 20% should help speed things up without any damage, not sure what you've been doing so far. Just be sure to check the chem of the new SW to be sure it's not adding to the problem. Wouldn't hurt to check the Mg either.

Natural depletions not going to help much. About the best you can expect from that is about 5-10 ppm daily but that's with properly balanced chem. CaCO3 depositing organisms will have much tougher go of it when things are out of wack and usually slows things down.

Cheers
Steve

Can you recommend a test kit? I'm only finding two brands online. Seachem and Salifert. Very spendy. Want to get the right one.

Of the two, my preference is Salifert. Seachem is still a very acurate kit, I just don't like the fussing around it requires.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom