Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2010, 12:20 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Not to start an argument, but I agree with Melosu. Garlic has been used in immune efficiency in humans, mammals, fish, etc for many years. Just a simple Google will also bring up a ton of Garlic studies showing the positive responses towards the immune system and there are fish studies conducted showing that garlic does not kill disease, but can extend the health before succumbing. As far as I know, garlic has never been proven to definitively kill parasites (primarily ich) in any ***reliable*** professional aquatics study. Of the freshwater studies, I don't believe any have been conducted without caveats.

As for food, I prefer a self-made mixture of frozen and fresh: sw fish flesh, shrimp, clams, nori, cyclop-eeze, micro-small pellets, spirulina, etc. with a revolving mix every feed.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:28 AM   #12

Any information supporting that it helps a fish's immune system at all?

I have read multiple scientific papers showing that garlic will actively kill parasites. I would have to find them again to see if those were specific to fish parasites, but it does do it in general.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:10 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

i know this is off topic but it really bothers me. fishguy using science and prove in the same tread is just bad. It's impossible to prove something you can only disprove things. atleast as far as science goes.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:50 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

It can kill fish parasites in terms of intestinal worms in fw fish, but if I am not mistaken in studies fw fish %'s also prematurely perished, which will always halt any definitive analysis. Here are just a couple recent studies based on garlic stimulation and immune efficiencies. There are others if you take the time to look around
Journal of Venomous Animals and Toxins including Tropical Diseases - Effects of Garlic (Alliumsativum) and chloramphenicol on growth performance, physiological parameters and survival of Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus)
Effect of Allium sativum on the immunity and survival of Labeo rohita infected with Aeromonas hydrophila - Sahu - 2006 - Journal of Applied Ichthyology - Wiley Online Library
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:05 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to clark4feathers
I like BlueZoo mix
Old 09-26-2010, 04:11 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

lol ok that is just yuk never would i eat fish food, something about eating weird stuff stuff such as fish food ,, don't think i could bring myself to it. lol
Old 09-26-2010, 04:22 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Reef chile is just a great mixture of zooplankto, phytoplankton, rotifers, copepods, artemia nauplii, daphnia, spirulina powder, vitamins, minerals, and all in sizes that fish, coral, fans and other filter feeders can use. And no refrigeration needed. Just mix with tank water let set and feed.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #18

Very important point Innovator, thank you for correcting me.

In the studies the parasites were there. The scientists added allicin. Then the parasites were dead.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to clark4feathers
Where can t get reef chile?
Old 09-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

c4f, you can get it at www.bulkreefsuppy.com

Tags
food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com