Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Favorite food

Okay, let's hear from everyone....What is your favorite dry fishfood and why do you like it so much?
I like 3 foods, Reef chile, Spectrum marine formula and ultracolor.....What do you like????

Old 09-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

You know, I've only tried New Life Spectrum, but it didn't taste all that great...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try and flush it with some "HotDogs"!
Old 09-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #4

I always use the NLS Thera+A because it has enough garlic to kill parasites. I feed this to all my fish and any corals large enough to eat it (LPS mainly).

I also feed two different sizes of Golden Pearls. I get a better food response from my corals with this than with anything else, including Rod's Food.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

We feed all live, fresh, or frozen to our reefs. We feed our FW tanks with multiple NLS varieties as part of a very varied diet.

MFD- Try the hikari wafers... a pinch between the cheek and gum.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

IMO garlic does not kill parasites. It might up the immune system but not kill parasites. Some good reading

Garlic: What has been Studied Versus What has been Claimed by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

That being said I use Ocean nutrition Prime Reef flakes. Works pretty good for the days I feed dry. Variety is always a good thing.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #7

I did research on this before. I looked through primary research articles (written by the scientists who actually performed the experiments and published in scientific journals). What I found was numerous articles discussing how allicin, a chemical in garlic when it is pressed/processed) can actively kill certain parasites. I have also seen it happen personally multiple times and talked to others who have had the same experience.

I have seen NLS Thera+A be the only thing needed to take care of marine white spot on tangs in reef tanks as well as in ich in clown loaches, discus, and other freshwater fish.

Garlic is not an immune system stimulent like so many claim. I have never seen any support for this claim. It is usually just likened to vitamin C, however vitamin C has known functions physiologically, unlike anything in garlic. I simply do not agree with the idea that it boosts the immune system. I think at best it can get a lot of fish to eat more which can lead to an improved immune system because of the better nutrition and improvement in feeding.

I am not claiming it is a miracle cure or will work every time (just like any other parasiticide) but it does do more than many give it credit for.

I have not had this happen with any of the liquid garlic supplements out there. The only times I know it has worked was the NLS Thera+A or fresh, pressed garlic.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

First I`m not discounting your experience. I too have had experiences with myself and others tanks and never seen garlic kill the parasite in SW. Granted the FW claims you made according to the article I can not attest to and the author agreed in his article. But in SW alot of people think they have done something when they have not. All that is happening is that the parasite cycle is going on and the parasite is dropping off and then the tomites come back with a vengence. I personnally have never seen ick (Cryptocaryon irritans) taken care of by garlic. I also am not saying that it takes care of the immune system. Just merely saying it because a lot of folks believe that. I did say "might". As I said I`m not discounting your experience or opinion. I made sure I said in my post "IMO".

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #9

Thank you.

I read through that article and it made some good points. But...if you look for any error then you will never prove anything. I ran a LFS and I can tell you that garlic definitely makes a difference when it comes to appetite stimulation. And if scientific articles stating that the allicin in garlic will kill parasites is not proof than nothing is proof scientifically. I will try to see if I still have the references for the garlic articles and post them (in a new thread).

Thank you for the info though. It is definitely NOT as black and white as most medications are and I don't mean to make it seem that way if I did.

I simply think there is more to it than skeptics agree with.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

I see the Reef Chili stuff all over the place, always looked sketchy to me. Care to elaborate more on why you like it and results?

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com