Favorite/least favorite fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wseaton

Aquarium Advice Activist
With the extreme diversity of marine fish now sold through your local LFS I'm curious as to what our favorite type of fishies are, and what we also wouldn't keep in our tanks even if forced. There are so many fish I don't understand why people keep, so perhaps this is some elightenment.

Some of my Favorites:

Maroon clown - more personality, er attitude, than percs or tomatoes. Larger fish such as triggers or tangs might be the tank boss, but a maroon clown is the landlord.

Canary blenny - easy to keep, doesn't back down from other fish, eats anything, and is nice looking to boot.

Longnose Butterfly - heartiest of all the butterflys in my experience, most personality and least fussy about feeding. Lower maintenence than the copperband.

Cherub angel (most dwarfs as well) - not prone to the typical angel extreme mood swings, and small enough to not be a pest with larger, more docile fish. Likes to harrass damsels, which I find always a good thing.

Purple Psuedochromis - much milder than the yellow, and generally will leave other alone if left alone.

Honorable mention / Picasso trigger - with a fish only tank these guys are great. Also smarter than my half the kids under 5 I see at the mall. I've had dogs that can't figure out how to flip their dog bowl back over to get at some food, yet I've had Huma-Humas that will push rocks around to get at a chunk of beef heart.

My most disliked:

Yellow Psuedochromis - if I wanted a fish to sit hidden in rocks and tear chunks out of other fish, I'd get my African chiclid tank going again. P. -Auratus is certainly less of a coward.

Anthias - difficult for me to tell from most freshwater goldfish in terms of looks, or habits. Fussy about water conditions, but maybe that's just me.

Cardinals - If the pet shop had the tank of cardinals next to the tank of fresh water black tetras, I'd easily get the two confused, and tetras have to be the most boring fish in the world to keep - IMHO

Well, I can't say there is a single fish I would not own... But I'm not terribly fond of eels, anthias, or cardinals. My favorites are long horned cowfish, jawfish, and porcipine puffers. I also really like mandarinfish and dragonets, and would one day like to attempt a seahorse tank. Gee... I could go on and on!

Well as my name says TRIGGERS. :D

My favorite fish is by far Triggerfish. Yes they are aggressive, but gosh the personality and the beauty is just FANTASTIC. They are extremely hardy, and they always draw attention. You can even teach them tricks. :D

Some of my other favorites are Angels, Hawkfish, Cowfish, Filefish (triggerfish's cousins) 8)

Some of my disliked fish have to include

(my most hated) The ugly Striped Eel Catfish. Honestly if I want a catfish I will go catch one at my closest river and the river catfish will still look bettter. :lol:

Close runner up to the Striped Eel Catfish would be the Orange Toadfish. I'm sorry but they just sit there taking up space and eat anything that will fit in the humungus mouth. And they are ugly.

Others include Soldierfish, Squirrelfish,

My fav fish would prolly be either Yellow tangs or Mandarin fish.

My least fav is most puffers like the dogface they are just plain ugly to me lol

But some look ok like the porcipines

i like the porcupine puffer they have graet personalities and those huge eyes i want one but dont think they would do good in a reef. when im a t the lfs i always like to go hang out w/ the porcupine puffer and play with him
he always comes to the front of the tank when i come by and if i move my head back and forth he wil swim back and forth. hes not the graetest at swimming backwards though lol man i want that dancing fish.

id have to say my fav would be the new 4 spot butterfly i got as a gift great fun little guy also copperbanded butterfly and jawfish but my goal one day is i want a cuttlefish for sure !!!

dislike---- none in salt but the plain goldfish are boring 2 me

I have two favorites...the ocellaris clown and the green spotted puffer. Both of them have lots of personality and are always front and center waiting on a meal. I like moray eels too, but they lack the personality of the other two.
My least favorite fish would be goldfish. Nothing wrong with them...they just don't interest me much.

Wow that's a hard one, there's so many fun fish I have had.

On the very top of the list I'd have to say: Clown Loach, Kuhli loach, Sailfin Blenny, Clownfish (SW).

My least favorite... big ignorant obnoxious pink kissing gouramis. LOL

Also on the honorable mention list, guppies and plecos are always welcome in my house.

hmmmmmm favorite would have to be my juvi emperor angel, he is like the king in my tank and has a watchful eye he knows where to go when hes hungry.......top left hand corner that is his spot!!!!!! as far as least id have to say the fresh water goldfish....thinkthey are ugly and boring

as far as the porcipine puffer i had one he was so ugly he was cute great personality i think they look like ET LOL :lol:

Tassel File fish are one of my favorites, they have loads of personality. And I love the true Skunk clowns, I think they are cute as a button.

Well. I kinda taught my Yellow Tang how to play peekaboo, well atleast he was interested in it. You see when I approach the tank, he usually goes and hides behind some LR. So one night when the lights turned off the moonlight was on, he kinda saw me approach, so he hid behind the LR. I ducked infront of the tank which made him very curious, so came to the front of the tank looking for me. After looking for a few seconds he went behind the LR again. Got up and waited for him to peek at me from behind the LR, as soon as he peeked, I ducked. I guess this made him very happy as he rushed to the front to see where I went....this happened for about half an hour more as I was very very very bored. I had been working late and it was christmas eve and everyone was out partying. Except me...i was sitting there in the blue light playing with my yellow tang. The other fishes were sleeping.

I also very much like my true percula clownfish. He doesn't fear me at all and will happily eat from my hand.

I've done the same thing with my yellow tang, i was trying to get a pic, so when i approached the tank, he went to go hide, so i just ducked down and waited to get a quick pic, and he went right to the glass like he was wonderin where i was. I played like this for a little while then took the pic, but thought it was fun.

I'd say my favorite fish even tho i don't have either would be a maroon clown or a true percula, or of course my yellow tang. And for sure my least favorite would be a bangaii cardinal. I had one and even tho it looked cool, it was the most boring fish i have ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom