feather Duster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJCRIC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,
The new guy is back. Anyway, at first I bought this feather duster and he wouldn't come out of his tube. then I was worried because I thought he was only coming out an inch or so. Turns out he is only an inch or so big but now he is coming way out? Is this normal? If so what is he doing and are they usually this small?

By the way he is still moving around. Sorry about the pic this was this morning before the lights were on.

I don't know if they are usually that small, but if it is extending that far out of the hole....I would say it is looking for food.

It could be possible that it's regrowing it's feathers, it doesn't take long, we have a pic of ours regrowing it's feathers in the gallery and they are even longer today and the pic was taken on the 3rd of May, just keep it fed and they'll get longer, feathers are soooo cool! :p

after I took that pic all his feathers and about 1" of the worm just fell off. That is my next question. Will her regrow them or is he doomed. I still can see him trying to come to the top but no feathers how can he eat. and how and what do I feed him.

Feather dusters do drop their feathers from time to time. This usually occurs do to some kind of stress.

THey will regrow the feathers. This process takes a few weeks.

You might want to check out this site http://www.wetwebmedia.com/feather.htm
that's where I got some info or faqs on feather dusters when ours lost his feathers, he's still in the tube just take some zooplankton and shoot it into his tube is what we did, ours is doing great and like FF said they will regrow them and it's amazing how fast they do. Don't give up on him :wink:

Back
Top Bottom