Feather Duster Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scavenger12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone tell me how exactly to add my 1st feather duster to my tank? Do I need to 'plant' it in some way or just place it on the sand or a rock or what?

I would love another opinion on this but I've had success so far with my hawaiin, dwarf pink, and dwarf yellow by "planting" them at the base of my rock work

Moved to Saltwater Discussion forum.

@ the OP, I had success both with placing them in the sandbed (bury a good section of the tube portion) and with placing the tube portion back into the rock work. You want them in an area where they will receive good flow as they are filter-feeders, but not where the powerhead will blow water directly on them as this will cause them to retract all the time.

I would make a place in my rock work so that it was lightly held by the rocks and protected so that it`s not attacked.

Anywhere works. As long as it is happy it will stay there and create a longer tube. I have had success in the sand bed and in a rock (not pinched in the rock though or the worm could get stuck). If it is not happy it will drop its crown and move another place successfully if not being picked at

I had something strange with my featherduster I purchased about 2 weeks ago. I planted the casing between some rocks and the feather duster completely removed itself from the casing. It was basically naked. I moved it to a part of a rock nook that had low water flow. Since it did not have the casing, it would not withdraw if it was startled. I've been using a turkey baster and adding a small dose of Phyto-green around the mouth. Just yesterday, when I put in the turkey baster near it, it suddenly withdrew into a new casing it developed - pretty cool. Within about 10 seconds of putting in the Phyto-green, he drew back out. Looks very healthy.

49640-albums2861-picture19933.jpg

If they become stressed they will do that..either your placement was too much/little flow, your water quality is off, or you have another inhabitant messing with it

Back
Top Bottom