feather duster left it's tube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talloulou

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my feather dusters came all the way out of it's tube....left the tube behind completely. I thought it was dead but everytime I check on it the worm thing is in a different spot. Is it moving around? Is it dead and the current is just blowing it around? If it's alive can it regrow it's tube? My other feather dusters seem fine, though one spewed out a white cloud.....Other then that they seem okay.

I have to say saltwater is much harder and more complex then freshwater!

from waht i read if a feather dister abandons its tube that means thats its really stresses. It will relocate itself and grow a new one. Thats waht i have read not positive though.

well the big hermit crab is eating it so if it wasn't dead before it is now. Should I pull it away from the hermit crab and trash it or just let him continue to chow down on it?

Well, waste not want not. I would let it be til the crab has it's fill, then remove what's left if anything.

are you sure its dead my two feathers both popped its top feathers under stress and they regrow really fast with in a week or two they have a small crown of feathers again???

flame82 said:
are you sure its dead my two feathers both popped its top feathers under stress and they regrow really fast with in a week or two they have a small crown of feathers again???

The fact that the crab is eating it is a pretty good indication that it's expired.

well i argee but my crab took care of the feather crown i was just curious if it was just a crown or the entire feather duster itself thats why i was asking

Loosing the crown is different then leaving the tube. Loosing a crown is not that out of the ordinary, leaving the tube IMO is much worse then that. They said the whole worm left the tube.

ok ok geez whiz i was just wanting to make sure i have had people before get confused between the two cases and throw a way a pretty good feather duster i was just trying to make sure thats all i understand the two instances just trying to help !!!

Yep, it didn't just loose it's crown. The whole wormy thing came completely out of the tube and was moving around out of the tube till the hermit crab began eating it. After he abandoned it I just fished it out and threw it away.

Back
Top Bottom