Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Feather Duster M.I.A

I picked up a feather duster a few weeks ago and now suddenly he is gone. :-( The casing is still there but the worm is no where to be found.

Is it dead or maybe hiding? I cant find the crown or anything. Just poof, one morning gone.

Could other tankmates have eaten it?

Thanks for any input!!

Old 08-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Probably just hiding. Sometimes mine won't come out for a few days.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you happen to have alot of B Worms, they will eat it. Also if one was to walk up and scare it, it could jump in it's tube and pop all her feathers. Sometimes they grow back, and sometimes they don't. I hope none of this happend to you, and is just getting use to the new tank. Good luck
Old 08-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

creepy on the bristle worms comment. Are you 100% sure the tube is empty carey? sometimes mine would retract deeper than normal to build more of a casing to the rock. other than that hopefully he popped his crown and is okay (stressed but alive)
Old 08-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis
creepy on the bristle worms comment. Are you 100% sure the tube is empty carey? sometimes mine would retract deeper than normal to build more of a casing to the rock. other than that hopefully he popped his crown and is okay (stressed but alive)
Nope the tube is completely empty. No sign of the crown either. Do you think someone ate it? Its been gone almost a week. :-(
Old 08-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've heard of fish like butterfly fish will completely pull the poor worm out before he knows what happened, but looking at your stock list I didn't see anything like that.

Possibly the bristleworm thing but thats only if his statement is true. everybody keeps saying they are harmless but i have no knowledge on that part. but LOTS/everyone says they are good...so I dont know. I think he's a goner though, i've heard of them tossing their crown too but i imagine the worm stayed in the tube. I don't think they physically will migrate somewhere else (unless a powerhead or current shot him out of sight so theres hope)
Old 08-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mine lost his crown and when it re-grew it never was as pretty as it used to. Now, a few months later, he is a goner
Never heard if Bworms eating them, but that would explain what happened to mine

If you don't see a crown floating around it may already been eaten by ur CUC or sucked up by filter?!
Give it time and observe. Maybe check water parameter...

Sorry it happened to you, they are beautiful. Miss mine :,(
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi there, my duster disappeared and no sign of it for two weeks then one day....a new feather slightly different colouring than before appeared. I think it threw it's head and grew a new one. I never found the old crown. It sounds as if you are quite sure your cast is empty though, maybe worth waiting a bit longer!
Old 08-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks guys...if he is indeed out of his tube like he appears to be, can he make another tube and still be alive? I've been looking for it all day and he is really no where to be found...
Old 08-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've never heard of them makeing another tube. But if the tube is left, it make come back. Let's hope!

Tags
eat, feather duster

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com