Feather Duster placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdwire

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got a new Feather Duster from LiveAquaria and was wondering about placement. From what I read they are supposed to be on the substrate but I was wondering if I am supposed to shove the tail of tube into the substrate and leave the head poking out or lay it on top of the subtrate. I was also wondering if they are Ca sensitive. I have a 55Gal FowLR and typically do not add Ca.. do I need to start?? Thanks for any help and all additional suggestions on the care of these critters are welcome.

Thanx,

Patrick

sorry too ask a question in your post, but my feather dusters are growing on my rock does it matter if tehre on the rock or substrate?

On the rock, sitting in a crevace, or in the sand; it really makes no difference to these guys. If you have no fish that might take advantage of the duster it can be left on top of the sanbed but I would pesonally suggest burying at least half the tube length.

As I said though they can be just about anywhere provided they are getting good water flow and are not near stinging animals. They are quite resiliant and shouldn't really be bothered but best not take the chance.

Cheers
Steve

I agree with steve but im not sure what part hes talking about for half of them being buried from what i have read you dont want to bury them in the sand.. The reason for this is that the will start to deteriate and die underneath the sandbed and will turn a black color. I would recommend putting them in a crevice. HTH

gooyferret said:
The reason for this is that the will start to deteriate and die underneath the sandbed and will turn a black color.

Where did you hear that? Never had a problem in that regard.

Cheers
Steve

Hat to jump in here but you guys never asked his question on the Calcium which is now a concern to me since I bought my first zooanthid and mushroom.

TIA

feather dusters do use a small amount of CA to construct their tubes; but they don't require a high level. The level of CA given from most good salt mixes should be plenty of CA for a feather duster.

RE placement; I have dozens of small dusters that are growing IN my LR with small tubes growing out of holes in the rocks. So I think I'd agree with Steve that placement is of little concern other than the cautions Steve also provided.

I have heard the same thing about the Feather Dusters and how you shouldn't bury them in the sand for rotting reasons.. Of course I have some that are in the sand and some 50 or more in the rocks... Neither one looks different from the other so, I would go as far as to say, bury or place in the rocks.. If you see a change in the appearance, or problem of any sort, place it somewhere else... :mrgreen:

Sabellid polychaete worms... "dusters" are non-calcerous tube worms. Their tubes are primarily their own mucus and detritus as well as what is collected free floating. Mushrooms as well have no scleractinia and do not require calcium to grow.

Cheers
Steve

I think I read that in a article in the web somewhere not sure of the location or book it was from i find it again ill let you know.

Back
Top Bottom