feather duster worm placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought my giant feather duster about a week ago. I placed it on the sand in the bottom of the tank as recommended by lfs. It seems to either get "kicked around" or move around a bit. I wonder if I should put the foot into the sand or place it in the reef so that it's foot is secured somehow. Suggestions? (pic is a little blurred)

I burry the end's in the sand a bit. I had one that jumped out of his "shell" and moved somewhere else and regrew. Kind of like an anemone

Either in the sand or in the sand at the edge of a rock. At the very bottom of the tube hopefully there's no "meat" you can feel, 'cause if so, that's the worm and you shouldn't put any pressure on that when pushing it under the sand or rock. Make sure it gets some water flow as they are filter feeders.

Thanks, it does have some soft stuff sticking out of the bottom of the tube. I will put it into the sand a little because it keeps getting moved around.

I buried the whole tube under the sand near one of my rocks. I left about an inch or so of tube sticking out. This was months ago and he seems very happy there.

Meredith said:
buried the whole tube under the sand near one of my rocks. I left about an inch or so of tube sticking out.
Same thing here. Sdellin they will actually attach themselves to the rock(or aquarium glass) so they can't be easily dislodged or moved once settled.

Great tips. I buried only the tip and the tube is sticking out, but I like the idea of putting all but an inch or so in, I think it will look better and cleaner. I'll give him some time before I mess with him again.

Back
Top Bottom