fed-up w/ chain stores! (got new lr also!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

first-timer89

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been doing lots of reserch online and in books and decided to have a 20 gallon fowlr. I have wrongly trusted the highschool kid at my local petco and he helped me waste money and kill 3 fish. :evil:

I finally found a good fish store 1 hour away. this is their website. http://www.aquaticdiscoveries.com/saltwater.htm
I brought home 12 pounds of fiji lr and it is great. Has many colors and 7 sponges! I also found 3 crabs while unpacking. I am soo excited to finnaly get lr. I am going to post pictures later this evening.

hehe congrats first-timer, :) Chain stores really dont have your well being (or your fishies) in mind, they just want you to buy, buy and buy. Finding a good fish store is a great thing to find in ones town. It also always helps before you buy anything ask around here for advice, then when you go to the store you already have an idea what you need. Everyone here is usually really great and has alot of advice. They have helped me many times. :)

Dave

sounds like a good start. eventually you'll want 20 to 40 pounds, but if you put in some "base rock" it will become live and save you some money

buy fish and salt in the same trip... ok to put fish in and then mix salt... stuff that sounds soo dumbnow that I have researchered. the more i think about it the madder i get! :evil: :x

I am a bit concerned about the other store... they talk about low salt levels and constant copper additives in their tank. At first I assumed that they didn't sell inverts but the page said they do... the only tank they said they don't consistently use copper is the shark tank... This probably makes for some really weak inverts between teh copper and the low salinity levels.

Wow I am glad I have a couple good lfs around here. The amount of money that we spend and these people can't even be honest with us. Do they not realize that if they are honest with us and stop us from making a purchase that we will end up spemding more money there because we trust them? Go figure

Sometimes you have to figure that some people just don't know what they are talking about. The 17 yr old kid at Petco more than likely doesn't know which fish are reef safe and which need special care... he is more concerned with being bitched out by his manager or other customers. Saying you don't know in retail is a big no no nowadays. It almost seems like lying is an acceptable practise if it gives the customer a needed answer. It is like the instance where the one guy saw a LFS customer with two clown fish, a 20g tank, and a bag of IO. The clerk told him that it was fine to add salt and then just add teh fish. Obviously the kid was more likely just to not know what he was talking about because no true knowledgable person would recommend such a thing. Heck that kid could have made more money selling all the accessories to the tank instead of the fish. Plus if you think about it the guy still had to buy the fish next time anyways. It was much more likely that the guy would kill the fish and not come back to that store because of the bad service.

Back
Top Bottom