Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2004, 10:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

fed-up w/ chain stores! (got new lr also!)

I have been doing lots of reserch online and in books and decided to have a 20 gallon fowlr. I have wrongly trusted the highschool kid at my local petco and he helped me waste money and kill 3 fish.

I finally found a good fish store 1 hour away. this is their website. http://www.aquaticdiscoveries.com/saltwater.htm
I brought home 12 pounds of fiji lr and it is great. Has many colors and 7 sponges! I also found 3 crabs while unpacking. I am soo excited to finnaly get lr. I am going to post pictures later this evening.

Old 10-23-2004, 01:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

hehe congrats first-timer, Chain stores really dont have your well being (or your fishies) in mind, they just want you to buy, buy and buy. Finding a good fish store is a great thing to find in ones town. It also always helps before you buy anything ask around here for advice, then when you go to the store you already have an idea what you need. Everyone here is usually really great and has alot of advice. They have helped me many times.

Dave

40gal plexi aquarium, 2x96w PC's, Fluval 404 filter, Remora Pro Protein skimmer, 2xMaxiJet 600 PH, 30lbs LR, 140lbs Live Sand <Aragonite>, 1 Sailfin Tang, 2 Percula Clowns, 2 Neon Gobies, colony of green striped mushrooms.

Cleaners: 1 blue-legged Hermit, 5 assorted small crabs, 6 nassarius snails, 2 bumblebee snails and 5 Trochus snails.
Dvoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 08:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
sounds like a good start. eventually you'll want 20 to 40 pounds, but if you put in some "base rock" it will become live and save you some money

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 02:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ah yes the lfs-trying to suck as much money out of us as they can
Old 10-23-2004, 05:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

How did you waste money and how did they help you kill fish???

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 06:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

buy fish and salt in the same trip... ok to put fish in and then mix salt... stuff that sounds soo dumbnow that I have researchered. the more i think about it the madder i get!
Old 10-23-2004, 08:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

your lfs told you to do this? They should be reported(to who I'm not sure but somebody)
Old 10-23-2004, 08:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am planning to talk to the manager tommarow
Old 10-24-2004, 12:19 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am a bit concerned about the other store... they talk about low salt levels and constant copper additives in their tank. At first I assumed that they didn't sell inverts but the page said they do... the only tank they said they don't consistently use copper is the shark tank... This probably makes for some really weak inverts between teh copper and the low salinity levels.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:22 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow I am glad I have a couple good lfs around here. The amount of money that we spend and these people can't even be honest with us. Do they not realize that if they are honest with us and stop us from making a purchase that we will end up spemding more money there because we trust them? Go figure

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com