Fed up w my canister!!!! HOB??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbannie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My canister filter is nothing but a nightmare! I had the marineland c 360, and it worked well, but the constant microbubbles drove me nuts! I re did the connections called the company and still the bubbles are there. So then I bought a Chinese canister from eBay. Worked great super quiet no bubbles. Problem there is the flow and suction. The first day after cleaning seems to work fine. Then it slacks off. Last night I fed some flakes and it didn't even suck those up!!?

So my question....... What do you think about putting an aquaclear 110 on my tank? (40 gal breeder) I thought I could make like a mini fuge out of it too. Is this a dumb idea? A sump is out of the question right now thanks!

The micro bubbles could likely be caused by a bad seal, I know those occasionally need to be replaced on canister filters. I've also seen a lot of bubblers feeding into filter intakes causing micro bubbles.

If you need the flow a HOB filter would be fine, just get a big one and load it with refugium rubble.

IMO you'd be better off with a HOB skimmer, live rock and some power heads

Or an HOB skimmer/refugium combo. Thats what i use and I love it, I bought it off eBay for like $100 and changed to pump to a maxijet1200 which I mesh moded and put a surface skimmer that is 16" long with a maxijet600 pushing water to the 1200. Makes all kinds of bubbles and pulls great skimate

Well I bought a slightly used aquaclear 110 off eBay for $50. We'll see how that goes

Your negative experience with canisters is because you chose poor models. I don't know anyone that uses a marineland canister. The best options are fluval, eheim, and Rena.

bshenanagins said:
Your negative experience with canisters is because you chose poor models. I don't know anyone that uses a marineland canister. The best options are fluval, eheim, and Rena.

+ 1. Any experience ive had with rena has been great. Actually bought a Fluval 305 canister to replace my Rena smartfilter55 on our 72g freshie. Besides needing cleaned once every month, this fluval is a dream come true. Its dead quiet, easy to disconnect/reconnect, and takes about 75% of the headache out of maintenace. Just spend the money on a quality canister and u wont regret it.

I have a aquaclear HOB on the back of my 28 -jbj for my seahorses:) I use the sponge and charcol, on top of that I have a pad that you can buy from marine depot to help control the phosphates.....I love it

Back
Top Bottom