Feed fish everyother day. Is that right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willbo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been told to feed my fish twice a day, once a day and Ive seen in the forums every other day now. I understand they should finish all of their food within 5 min but not sure what adivce on how often to feed to follow.:onfire:

ps sorry for asking a question that was answered not to long ago but just had to check.

Tell us about the size and age of the tank and the fish you have. Also, tell us what your nitrate readings are for the heck of it.

I fed every other day and mine did fine for years.

Every other day will be fine but I too would like to know what fish you have. Tangs for example have to be fed everyday. Plenty of greens.

I have 3 blue Chromis`s ( not sure of spelling ) and 1 yellow tang 1 tomato clown (he is really big) and a coral beauty. They in a Red Sea Max 130 and the tank is new to me(was moved here a week ago) but I kept 95% of water and it has been running for over 2 years

Attachments

• DSC_0060.jpeg
    DSC_0060.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC_0471.jpeg
    DSC_0471.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC_0482.jpeg
    DSC_0482.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 199
Ok then this is what I would do and what I do also do. Feed your tank every other day and on the off days I would get a clip and put dried seaweed on it on the off days for the tang. I`m sure the other fish will feed also but the tang needs to eat every day but they need plenty of vegetable matter.

Ok, sounds like a plan. TYVM melosu58 and austinsdad, you have been very helpfull.

Hey... ummm I've been feeding my fish twice a day... brine shrimp like 5 tea spoons of it mixed with water (5-12 brine in every spoon) I have a royal gramma, blue devil & yellowtail damsel... 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 unknown crab, 2 turbo snails, 1 adult brittle starfish, 5-10 baby brittle starfishs, 1 electric blue hermit & 2 small hermits... Sooooo... am I over feeding my fish in my 30 gal tank?

I'd say the answer is a resounding... "maybe."

If you're having water quality issues (cyano, high nitrates, algae, etc) then I'd say the answer is "yes." If your water quality if fine and the fish seem healthy, then I'd say the answer is "no". Probably not the answer you're looking for, but there really never seems to be many exact answers in this hobby! Could you cut back on your feeding with no issues? Most likely.

One thing I'll suggest though is to switch away from the brine shrimp as a main course and mix it up a little - some mysis shrimp, some of the meaty seafood mixes (Rod's Food, etc) and other varieties of meaty foods. Brine shrimp - from what I've read - don't have quite the nutritional value that other foods do. That's the main reason they gut-load the shrimp with vitamins, spirulina, etc... so the fish are at least getting *some* nutrients from it. Someone here once equated feeding your fish brine shrimp to us having popcorn for dinner every night.

I always compare it to a plate of twinkies every nite for supper. I do feed brine but it`s vitamin fortified brine. Between that and mysis and flake and dried seaweed that makes a good variety.

Sooo... Brine (frozen cubes)melted in a cup with tank water, mysis shrimp also melted in same cup and flakes of dried sea weed all in the same cup or sea weed seprate?

Same cup works but make sure that you are cutting down on the amount of brine and not just adding more food...

I'd get in the habit of rinsing the brine or myisis of the frozen cube water, not just melting it. It's full of phosphates. FW rrinse will do. Then add a few drops of vitamin like Zoe and some Garlic Guard to fortify it more.

Food for thought, I prefer to feed small portions twice daily, but work often forces once per day. You can use a small brine shrimp net to thaw frozen foods such as mysis, cyclop-eeze, etc. And then add to tank. Adding supplements such as vit. C, garlic, etc is worthless if it is not injectable or soakable. Frozen foods like bloodworms and mysis will not soak liquids up, which will just go through the water column and eventual filter. Algae such as Nori can be soaked in liquids unless, as I said, you inject food with it.

Nope, unless you miraculously revive it and gut-load it vits :p. Any liquid stays topical and if there was any internal "soakage" it would disperse in the water. Soaking Nori is effective and easier imo. Spirulina (I prefer powder) is another great addition!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom