Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Feed fish everyother day. Is that right?

I have been told to feed my fish twice a day, once a day and Ive seen in the forums every other day now. I understand they should finish all of their food within 5 min but not sure what adivce on how often to feed to follow.

ps sorry for asking a question that was answered not to long ago but just had to check.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Tell us about the size and age of the tank and the fish you have. Also, tell us what your nitrate readings are for the heck of it.

I fed every other day and mine did fine for years.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Every other day will be fine but I too would like to know what fish you have. Tangs for example have to be fed everyday. Plenty of greens.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #4

I have 3 blue Chromis`s ( not sure of spelling ) and 1 yellow tang 1 tomato clown (he is really big) and a coral beauty. They in a Red Sea Max 130 and the tank is new to me(was moved here a week ago) but I kept 95% of water and it has been running for over 2 years
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0060.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	23445   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0471.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	23446  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0482.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	23447  
Old 04-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Ok then this is what I would do and what I do also do. Feed your tank every other day and on the off days I would get a clip and put dried seaweed on it on the off days for the tang. I`m sure the other fish will feed also but the tang needs to eat every day but they need plenty of vegetable matter.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 04-27-2010, 01:12 AM   #6

Ok, sounds like a plan. TYVM melosu58 and austinsdad, you have been very helpfull.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #7

Hey... ummm I've been feeding my fish twice a day... brine shrimp like 5 tea spoons of it mixed with water (5-12 brine in every spoon) I have a royal gramma, blue devil & yellowtail damsel... 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 unknown crab, 2 turbo snails, 1 adult brittle starfish, 5-10 baby brittle starfishs, 1 electric blue hermit & 2 small hermits... Sooooo... am I over feeding my fish in my 30 gal tank?
Old 04-28-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd say the answer is a resounding... "maybe."

If you're having water quality issues (cyano, high nitrates, algae, etc) then I'd say the answer is "yes." If your water quality if fine and the fish seem healthy, then I'd say the answer is "no". Probably not the answer you're looking for, but there really never seems to be many exact answers in this hobby! Could you cut back on your feeding with no issues? Most likely.

One thing I'll suggest though is to switch away from the brine shrimp as a main course and mix it up a little - some mysis shrimp, some of the meaty seafood mixes (Rod's Food, etc) and other varieties of meaty foods. Brine shrimp - from what I've read - don't have quite the nutritional value that other foods do. That's the main reason they gut-load the shrimp with vitamins, spirulina, etc... so the fish are at least getting *some* nutrients from it. Someone here once equated feeding your fish brine shrimp to us having popcorn for dinner every night.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I always compare it to a plate of twinkies every nite for supper. I do feed brine but it`s vitamin fortified brine. Between that and mysis and flake and dried seaweed that makes a good variety.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 04-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #10

Sooo... Brine (frozen cubes)melted in a cup with tank water, mysis shrimp also melted in same cup and flakes of dried sea weed all in the same cup or sea weed seprate?

Tags
feed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com