Feeder fish for dwarf lion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hakan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

I have a dwarf zebra lionfish and would like to feed it live fish.
I have read goldfish, guppies, mollies etc are bad for them in the long run. Due to bad fats and lack of protein.

Any suggestions on live saltwater feeder fish?
Or can i acclimate guppies to saltwater breed them and feed them and perhaps they might lose the bad fats and have more nutrition as i will feed them saltwater fish food?

Sorry im very noob to live feeding so these questions may sound silly.

thanks heaps

How about "pink nippers" as we call them here is australia.
They are small yabbies from our local fishing bait and tackle store. fishermen use them as live bait. They are basically small Yabbies. Would this be a good diet for the lionfish?

I personally would not feed him live fish.... Maybe as a treat but not as the main source of food. For one they will neglect any other food that you will give them and the live fish will get expensive in the long run. You are better off feeding them frozen food and giving them live fish as a treat. The cheapest saltwater fish I would think is a damsel fish. They range in price from$2 - $10.. Now try feeding that every day.

Just my two cents worth

If you lived near the ocean you could feed bait fish. In Mexico we would just throw a net and have a few hundred anchovies. You could probably find them really cheap if you're in an area on the coast, and if legal you could just toss a net near a pier and get some yourself.

It's a better idea to feed frozen pieces of shrimp, squid or whatnot. They are easy to find and cheaper if you couldn't catch the fish yourself.

hmmm fair enough, these yabbies are about $5 AUD for 25-30 of them.
So i might feed them as a treat and try and get him to eat frozen, Ive been trying to get him to eat krill but it just keeps turning its head away.

Thanks for the input guys

Back
Top Bottom