Feeding a brain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnowZz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so i purchased a brain (below) and is it ok to feed the mouth Sera' Coraliquid with a syringe. or is this the incorrect food.

img_1094034_0_7973bf7b04a23a9b3202026b708d157c.jpg

I have two brain corals and have never target fed either of them. One is eight yrs old and the other is 4 yrs old. They get all they need from the lighting and water column.

yeah, but they sure do love to eat. i feed mine meaty foods as well, and i've noticed significant gains in flesh(not skeleton) in all the lps i do feed, compared to the ones that i don't.
after all, they have food catching tentacles for a reason.

Yeah, I've seen a big gain in flesh too. I started feeding my Lobo and its getting huge. It puffs itself up massive and looks amazing.

Mine get just as much growth as those that feed if not more. They will grab an occasional piece of brine or mysis that is floating be. I just dont target feed. I dont want anyone to think you have to feed. Nothing wrong for those that do.

thanks for the advice, you know i bought this coralique in a im new splurge before i learned to "research". I honostly dont even know what to give it to. i dont want to throw it out. but i also dont want to put anything in my tank i dont have too. Also it was just labeled BRAIN on the tank in the LFS, do you know the exact breed?

Typically those that target feed do see greater growth. Target feeding basically increases the ability to not only grow faster, but to reproduce more readily and keep a high state of health. Also, even though Melosu states he doesn't specifically try to target feed, he does state his corals will capture food particles floating by, which is indirect feeding yet feeding nonetheless. Either way, there are more variables to consider than his feeding habits as to why he gets exceptional growth ;)

As for the types of food to feed, go with mysis, krill, eggs (no, not chicken of the sea), zooplankton, etc. They are usually aggressive feeders once they get in a routine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom