Feeding a Panther Grouper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BDAWG

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, I bought one of these little guys (3in.) about a week ago. I've read that you need to feed them 2-4 times a week. I've fed him twice so far (chopped Silver sides) this week.

My question is, is that the best thing/way to feed them? The only reason I ask is because I have a tough time getting him to FIND the food. I literally have to put my hand in the tank and try to put the food somewhere until he finds it.

I've heard guppies can live in saltwater, is this true, and could he eat them?

I wouldn't bother with guppies. You've only had him for a week, give him some time to get used to his new home. Also, you may try different types of food to find out what he likes. Fresh or died fish, squid, fresh shrimp or freeze-dried krill. On a side note, in case you didn't realize, these fish get quite large. They can get up to 20" long and will require at least a 100gal tank eventually. Good luck.

Oh, you could also use a garlic product like garlic extreme or simular to help entice him to eat. Just soak the food for a bit first.

You'll find that you have a small tank for that "little guy" also your other fish might become lunch, and some of your inverts too... RESEARCH b4 you buy! sigh... I hope you can take him back or upgrade :(

fishfirst said:
You'll find that you have a small tank for that "little guy" also your other fish might become lunch, and some of your inverts too... RESEARCH b4 you buy! sigh... I hope you can take him back or upgrade :(

Yes I know how big he gets, and I know the more you feed him the faster he grows. And yes, to relieve all your worries, I do plan on upgrading to a much bigger tank. :) I just wanted to know what the best thing to feed him was, thanks for the help.

Well you shouldn't be. I have a picture of him in my gallery, he's quite small right now.
I know his mouth is a lot bigger than it looks but I'm not too worried about it. If for some reason I can't keep him when he gets too big I have people that will glady take him.

I do appreciate your concern, though. It's nice to talk to people who think of fish as more than a piece of decor. You'd be surprised how many people try to set up tanks with out any cocern for the well being of the fish. Either because they're misinformed or just don't care. It's sad. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom