Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Feeding Algae Sheets

I have a 4 inch Kole Tang and a 4 inch One Spot Foxface. How often should I offer Nori sheets to them?

If people have experience with two similar sized herbivores - I would greatly appreciate advice.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
They are Omnivores, not herbivores. They will take, and should be encouraged to eat meaty foods along with algae. A varied diet is best. If you have good filtration and a decent sized tank I would add nori a few times per week.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

They do eat meaty foods when I feed the rest of the tank.

I apologize for the misnomer- I was just using the classification on liveaquaria for both species.

Thank you for the advice. Do you usually feed the nori on the same day as meaty foods or more like - one day meaty, one day nori, one day off and repeat?
Old 01-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I leave a noris sheet out for my tangs and rabbitfish almost every day. Not a whole sheet or anything, just a one by one inch square. I even will put out more than one in a day if they are being extra piggish. lol Like X said, a varied diet is best, I also feed daily mysis, brine, bloodworms and pellets. You may find the other fish in the tank also eat the nori, my filefish absolutely love it and so do some of my wrasses. Go figure. LOL
Old 01-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Two 4" tangs and I would want to give them probably a 1/4 sheet (the 10x10 ones) each time. It's great if you can feed them every day, but just keep an eye on your water quality.
For the every other day scenario, alternating or not, I would say that's not important. What's important is healthy fish, and healthy tank.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Give them fresh lettuce and spinach every now and then. That will really fatten them up.

Tags
algae, feed, feeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com