Feeding an anemone mussels from the beach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacpaq2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it safe to do this? I would rip mussels off the rocks around tide pools, crack them open with a rock, then feed them to anemones at the beach as a kid (I grew up in Los Angeles). I was wondering if it would be safe to feed an aquarium anemone mussels from the beach. This isn't a matter of it being legal because I'm quite sure if isn't but would I be risking killing my anemone or introducing a pathogen into the water? Any help would be great. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I did a bit more research and I have learned that mussels would only be toxic to humans due to dinoflagellates the mussel digests, do dinoflagellates affect an anemone like they do humans if digested? And could I feed the mussels to my anemone raw?

anything close to shore I would be concerned about being polluted and may also contain parasites ,

There is better high quality food out there. Even local grocery stores will have some shrimp or raw fish to feed the anemone. I wouldn't take the risk of spreading decease in my tank.

There is better high quality food out there. Even local grocery stores will have some shrimp or raw fish to feed the anemone. I wouldn't take the risk of spreading decease in my tank.

I bought frozen scallops is that's good idea?

Personally you don't need to feed the anemone. They will get all they need from the lighting and water column. I never target fed mine.

Agree, they never need fed if they have the right environment

They don't need it necessarily but they do grow faster and bigger with some supplement food. Living creatures enjoy the occasional food supply

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom