Feeding an Open Brain Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betsy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an open brain and have been target feeding it Krill. Did't know to chop up the food. I have been mostly feeding them the whole krill. How small should I chop it up? I find it hard to feed as it is. Is there an easier way?

Another question. So when the brain is deflated looking it is unhappy? Could it be because the chunks I am giving him are to big?

I'm just loving this place and learning so much!
Thanks
Betsy

The open brain is photosynthetic and requires no direct feeding, but an occasional feeding of shrimp or other meaty food once or twice a month is recommended.

When I target feed I use reconstituted freez-dried mysis shrimp. They are pretty small. I use a turkey baster or a left over syringe from a test kit. If feeding krill or cocktail shrimp I would mince it rather fine.

I`ve had my brain corals for several yrs and have never fed them. I`m sure they probably get something from the water column but I do not target feed. As Cmor said they get what they need from the lighting.

As with all of my LPS's, I feed my open brain coral 1-2 times a week, and it readily accepts frozen mysis and whole krill (and would probably take small silversides if I provided it).

Thanks so much,

If the open brain doesn't have it's tentacles out does that mean it's not hungry?

Do you try to feed it even then and how?

Thanks
Betsy

As I mentioned I have never fed mine, It`s really not necessary IMO. Here is mine from 6 yrs ago and what it looks like now and my purple brain. They get what they need from the lighting and water column. IME

100_0693.jpg

100_0697.jpg

fish 010.jpg

Feeding tentacles expose themselves when food is sensed and often throughout the night. These corals do not solely rely upon photosynthesis and take up nutrients from the water column as well. They can be fed small meat items such as mysis, krill, roe, etc. about once or twice weekly.

If the open brain doesn't have it's tentacles out does that mean it's not hungry? Do you try to feed it even then and how?

As Innovator stated, the tentacles extend when food is sensed or at night (almost like clock-work, mine extend their feeder tentacles within 10min of the lights going out). I feed mine exclusively after dark. I've even seen them capture small tiny nocturnal shrimp in my tank which were attracted to the beam of the flashlight.

From my observation, while they can get by and thrive on light alone, they seem to put regular effort into prey capture (extending feeder tentacles nightly) perhaps as a survival mechanism to counteract the effects of overcast or cloudy days in the wild and avoiding a nutrient deficit?

Back
Top Bottom