Feeding Brain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I fairly new to the art of SW, a little over a year and
i'm loving it!

I'm pretty conservative with my feeding and keep a close eye on the nitrates. I think that occasionally feeding our corals is not only good but a fun part of the hobby.

But like anything, too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.

I'm going to politely disagree with this... it really all depends on how you define "feeding." Even if you're lazy on water changes and don't have a skimmer, if you truly "target" feed and don't dump a bunch of extra food in the tank it doesn't mean you're on the road to a tank crash.

Do LPS *need* to be fed? Probably depends on the individual tank and your normal feeding habits. LPS in tanks that are extremely clean, overskimmed, and sparse on extra food probably will need to be supplemented with meaty foods. LPS in tanks that have enough extra food to go around may not need the extra supplementation. I don't think making a one-size-fits-all recommendation really works for feeding corals.

Like everything else in this hobby, you have to see what other folks are doing and why, and decide what is best for your own tank. Sometimes that involves some trial and error. If you feed your LPS, but end up having water quality issues, then back off for a while. On the flip side, if you don't feed them and see them failing to thrive, then maybe some extra food once or twice a week is in order.

That was just my way of saying that if you overfeed, you have to watch your water quilty...Ie: PWC, more skimming. All tanks fare differently and we all have to adjust our feeding accordingly!

Back
Top Bottom