feeding fish question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dewey

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two true perk and a Lawn mower blenny,one yellow tang,and a golden neon goby. My tang eat seafood selects red and green once a day.My question is ive been hearing for awhile know that frozen brine shrimp does no have any nutritional value. Thats what the clowns eat. What would be better for them?

Thanks Dewey

Just a kind of related question (I do not mean to hijack your thread). Is it possible to us an automatic feeder for over the weekend? We bought one before we were knowlegable about tanks but I still think that it may be resonable. Because our tank is at school there will be no-one there to feed the fish on saturdays and sundays most of the time. I will take the tank home for summer holiday and christmas holiday but it is impractical just for the weekend. Do you think that we could use an auto-feeder if we checked the levels alot to make sure that much of it was eaten and it is not just floating around and decomposng.

TIA

If it was me i would not use one. I dont feed my fish everyday i feed mine on Mon,wed,friday,and a little food sat and sun.I would just have some one do it for you IMO.

Good luck Dewey

Thanks. Ok it is still in the box so we can return it. I will see if it is possible for one of the caretakers to give them a little food on the weekend. And just make sure that they are properly fed during the week.

Thanks for your comments.

To answer both questions I have similar fish and feed flake and pellets in an automatic feeder. I also hand feed small amounts of life line and mysis shrimp along with dried seaweed for my tang.

I use the automatic feeder with flake and pellets which is the drum style that feeds twice a day. I do have it set on the lowest setting. I use it because I am Full time in the military and my schedule varies a lot. I also find that because of this I am feeding a lot less because I am no longer tempted to feed whenever I get the chance(usually overfeed). Since I have been using it I have noticed my nitarates drop which was an issue in the past. The fish seem not the worse for it.

Allright, now I am confused. Well we will see. Yes, no, ??? I would like to have it for feeding over the weekends but I'm not sure if it is worth the money. I will see if we still have the receipt nd go from there.

I use a recipe very similar to the one I linked, with a few exceptions depending on what's fresh at the fish market ;)

You can skip the weekend feedings entirely. Most fish can go about a week without food. It usually is safer to underfeed than to take the chance that a well meaning but clueless person will overfeed, and foul the tank.

Depends. Which fish? How many fish, how big, how much is fed at each feeding?

I usually feed once each day. I recently was out of town for a week and left a bunch of small baggies with pre-measured flake food for a friend who stopped in to feed and maintain my top off water. He fed them every other day.

In the wild they spend most of the day searching for food. Some fish are grazers that need a (n almost) constant source of food. I add some nori to a clip 1 or 2 times a day for my sailfin tank, foxface lo and bicolor blenny. The coral beauty grabs some too.

You should choose your livestock accordingly and make sure not to get those that need constant or multiple feedings per day.

You should be fine with a M-W-F feeding schedule. The blennie will probably find some algae on the rock to pick on between feedings. The damsels tend to get nasty when in a group. If you're only going to have one it should be fine too.

Back
Top Bottom