Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2004, 03:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Dewey
feeding fish question?

I have two true perk and a Lawn mower blenny,one yellow tang,and a golden neon goby. My tang eat seafood selects red and green once a day.My question is ive been hearing for awhile know that frozen brine shrimp does no have any nutritional value. Thats what the clowns eat. What would be better for them?

Thanks Dewey

Old 03-20-2004, 07:05 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
What would be better for them?
Homemade blender mush is what I feed all my fish, you control the ingredients and the freshness, it's alot cheaper than other prepared foods too

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 12:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

What recipe do you use?
Old 03-20-2004, 02:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just a kind of related question (I do not mean to hijack your thread). Is it possible to us an automatic feeder for over the weekend? We bought one before we were knowlegable about tanks but I still think that it may be resonable. Because our tank is at school there will be no-one there to feed the fish on saturdays and sundays most of the time. I will take the tank home for summer holiday and christmas holiday but it is impractical just for the weekend. Do you think that we could use an auto-feeder if we checked the levels alot to make sure that much of it was eaten and it is not just floating around and decomposng.

TIA

Here is what I have now...

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
100W (maybe 150W) heater, but heating isnt a prob
1.5 inches of crushed coral
some decoration stuff including a couple peices of old dried coral.) Not sure if it is real to be honest...
Crappy lights that I am going to rebuild, just for come flourescents
excited_newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 02:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

If it was me i would not use one. I dont feed my fish everyday i feed mine on Mon,wed,friday,and a little food sat and sun.I would just have some one do it for you IMO.

Good luck Dewey
Old 03-20-2004, 02:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks. Ok it is still in the box so we can return it. I will see if it is possible for one of the caretakers to give them a little food on the weekend. And just make sure that they are properly fed during the week.

Thanks for your comments.

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
some decoration stuff including a couple peices of old dried coral.) Not sure if it is real to be honest...
Old 03-20-2004, 09:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

To answer both questions I have similar fish and feed flake and pellets in an automatic feeder. I also hand feed small amounts of life line and mysis shrimp along with dried seaweed for my tang.

I use the automatic feeder with flake and pellets which is the drum style that feeds twice a day. I do have it set on the lowest setting. I use it because I am Full time in the military and my schedule varies a lot. I also find that because of this I am feeding a lot less because I am no longer tempted to feed whenever I get the chance(usually overfeed). Since I have been using it I have noticed my nitarates drop which was an issue in the past. The fish seem not the worse for it.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 09:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Allright, now I am confused. Well we will see. Yes, no, ??? I would like to have it for feeding over the weekends but I'm not sure if it is worth the money. I will see if we still have the receipt nd go from there.

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
Old 03-20-2004, 10:47 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I use a recipe very similar to the one I linked, with a few exceptions depending on what's fresh at the fish market

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 12:03 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

You can skip the weekend feedings entirely. Most fish can go about a week without food. It usually is safer to underfeed than to take the chance that a well meaning but clueless person will overfeed, and foul the tank.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com