Feeding Frequency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NightSpirit

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I just purchased a couple of maroon gold-stripped clownfish for the deal was too good to pass up on (a captive-bred pair for $16). I know I've been having water problems, but everything has stabalized since I switched salt brands.

The LFS recommended feeding them a zooplankton product called cyclopeeze. However, it's quite messy and I don't want to overfeed the tank.

:?: So should I feed them cyclopeeze in the morning and flake food at night? Cyclopeeze every other day?

:?: Or is there a better food I could be feeding them?

Once I get more fish I will create my own food, but right now it isn't viable (wife :evil: ).

TIA

So should I feed them cyclopeeze in the morning and flake food at night? Cyclopeeze every other day?

It is up to you. I feed my fish once a day in the morning. Some feed a couple times a day. Others feed only every few days. My friend only feeds twice a week! In nature, fish feed small portions throughout the day. Unfortunately if we were to feed our fish this much, we would have major pollution problems in the tank.

Or is there a better food I could be feeding them?

I have used cyclopeeze and the fish love it. One of our members even said that cyclopeeze was "liquid crack for fish". You should still have a variety of foods for them to eat. I cycle through about 5 different foods throughout the week. Some frozen, some refrigerated, and some dry.

Whatever you choose to feed, you need to only feed what they can eat within about a 5 minute period. After that, what they don't eat should be scooped out if possible. On the days I feed pellet food, I scoop out what they didn't eat so that it doesn't pollute the tank.

Once I get more fish I will create my own food, but right now it isn't viable (wife ).

Making your own fish food saves quite a bit of money. Plus you are in control of what is going into the food. It is a good idea if you can do it.

Thanks for the advice.

Since I only have the clownfish in the tank, I think I'll feed them cyclo every other day and alternate with other food.

Thats an unbelievable price for the pair you got, where did you get them?
A LFS in tempe AZ, All Aquatics. They're quite small but what they do have they generally have a good price on.

Back
Top Bottom