Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-05-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Feeding Frozen Food

Sunday I tried feeding frozen food for my first time. I am not sure what brand it is, but it is a conglomerate of shrimp, and other ground up critters. Well, I soaked the block in the aquarium water (on a plate, not in the aquarium) and tried to chop it up. It was like trying to chop up a rubber band. I couldn't get a lot of the pieces small enough for my fish to eat, also they (chunks of meat) all sunk to the bottom very quickly! None of them (fish) went to the bottom to get them. Needless to say, my shrimp ran out and quickly made a stockpile, in his cave. Even the bristleworms poked out of their hiding places and feasted. In two days, all of it was gone.
1. I guess it is easier to chop up while frozen (right?)
2. Will the smaller pieces float a little longer?
3. If not, what then?
I should have my order of Selcore today that I will add.

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
i am going to assume you are using Formula One or FormulaTwo. i have had the same experience with the "rubbery-ness" of that food. i really didnt experiment too much with cutting it frozen or cutting it thawed, but i would expect the same results either way.

since then, i have changed to san francisco bay frozen foods... mainly because that is what the LFS had in stock when i got mad at the Formula food. The SF bay foods thaw down really well into small / tiny pieces. everything in my tank is able and willing to accept this food when i feed.

i have also had good luck with the Spectrum flake and pellet food and the Formula flake food. So, you may have to try a few different foods until you find what your fish like. i mainly feed frozen now, and i mix equal parts brine w/ spirulina, marine cuisine, and emerald entree (all by San Francisco Bay). that mixture gives me a nice blend of foods for the various creatures in the tank. i feed 1 cubes worth of food, 3 times a week...

selcon will help some finiky eaters, but you should try to have something that they already are willing to take...

55gal FOWLR,
DIY stand and Hood,
AquaC Remora,
Coralife Lunar Aqualight (4x65W),
60 LB Hirocks Base Rock, 40 LB LR 50/50 Keys/Gulf
150 LB Playsand (~3-4 in DSB)
2 x Blood Red Fire Shrimp, 2 x Cleaner Shrimp
2 x Black and White Percula Clown, 1 x Orange Spotted Blenny, 1 x Red Stripe High Fin Goby
mp3z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Yup, my flake food is formula 1 or 2, just whatever the LFS has. The other problem, it sinks fast and they won't eat off the bottom...
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
I also stopped feeding my fish the Formula 1 forzen. They liked it when they were able to get some, but it did sink. I think that it is "gel based" so you can attached it to one of those feeding clips, but I have never tried this.

As a side note, I just fed my open brain corals a little bit of this forzen frood. I cut it into 1/4 peices and disolved it as much as I could in some tank water. I used a bulb dispencer to target the corals and they loved it. 2 das after I fed them, they were bigger and more colorful then I had ever seen.

60gal reef in progress
75lbs Live Rock
40lbs Live Rock
AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
Marineland penguin HOB Filter
4x65w PCF

1 - Percula, 1 - Blue-Yellowtail Damsel, 3 - Green reef Chromis

Rose Annenome; Anchor Coral
john0087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
i use fomula 1 and they eat it well. i also soak in garlic. i cut the cubes while they are frozen, it makes it alot easier, and put what i dont use in a ziplock for later. hth.
visions of a dragon

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote

feeding, food, frozen food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com