Feeding my new Carnation Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aldo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Got a Dendronephthya klunzingeri (carnation Coral) last week and it's LOOKING GREAT (shhh not to loud) and to keep it that way I have to FEED it .
When feeding Zooplankton & Phytoplankton to the tank do I have to turn off the filters & skimmer, should I feed 3 to 4 times per week at night (dark) or during the day?
Are there any other foods that i should be feeding better than those a above ?
Thanks
aldo :mrgreen:

Hopefully this will not happen to you but the success rate of this coral in captive care is quit dismal. The lack of zooxanthellae means it gets all of it's nutrition from direct feedings. Best suggestion is depending on how the coral came attached, place it in a moderately high flow area out of direct light. Also in a position so it does not allow it to attach to any adjacent rocks and such. It will make feeding it much easier if it is easily moved.

Although Zooplankton will benefit somewhat, you will need to rely moreso on phytoplankton as the main diet and preferabley live cultures in hopes of meeting all it's needs. Shelf stable product swill most likely fall short of it's needs.

When feeding, it will be best if you hang a HOB breeder box or other container inside the tank that has little or not flow through it. Add the coral and then the food. This will allow for the coral to become saturated with the food particles instead of the hap hazard general water column feeding that will most likley not meet the corals needs. Once fed for a ½ hour or so replace the coral to it's original position and discard some of the feeding water. Some can be let loose it the tank to increase the chance of casual feeding but too much random food will soon impact the water quality... Feeding in this fashion 3-4 times a week should greatly increase your success.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Hara,
I made the feeding bottle you told me about and found it quite difficult to use. With no air escape at the top, the air pressure in the bottle makes it hard to hold down in place.
Would it not be better and easier to have small holes at the top of the bottle to relieve the air pressure?
Anxiously awaiting your reply as I need to feed the coral very badly.
Thank you in advance.
Aldo :mrgreen:

no, tip the bottle over and get all the air out before placing it over the coral. then there is no pressure against it. if you put holes in the top, the food will get out!

Back
Top Bottom