Feeding my new large green serpant star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfirst

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got a large green serpent starfish about two weeks ago, and I know they are scavengers, but this thing is like two feet wide and I don't think anything I'm feeding the fish is going to sustain its mass. Right now I feed them a mix of brine shrimp, nutrafin max spirulina algae flake food, and nutrafin max marine complete and also the occasional guppy that hatches in my feeder guppy tank for my piranha. Should I be buying raw shrimp at the grocery store and feeding it to this guy? Please give me some good advice.

Oh my! 2 feet!!! Got any pictures of the guy? Sorry I really don't know much about feeding serpant stars... wow- but 2 feet! Where did you get him?

Ya, cut up some pieces of shrimp, scallops, even fish. My sepents like sinking pellets too. In a 55 gallon, you had better target feed. He will never get enough just cleaning up.
Nice size!! I have a banded Serpent that I thought was big, about 14", but 2 ft WOW. 8O
Yes, pics please!! :)

I have red and grey serpent stars and have had no problems with them over the years I've had them for, but I seem to often run into posts on various sites talking about how the green serpents trap and catch fish.
Might pay to just keep an eye on it in case the reports have merit to them.

but I seem to often run into posts on various sites talking about how the green serpents trap and catch fish.
Actually, I think it is green brittle stars that are supposed to be the problem. But you point is well taken. I have a huge banded serpent and a huge red brittle who are perfect citizens.

Back
Top Bottom