Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

feeding my sixline wrasse

So, I just picked up a sixline wrasse from my LFS. I have frozen mysis and frozen brine that I've been feeding my clown.
So, my question is....

Besides the frozen mysis and brine, is there anything else I should be feeding him? What's the best diet for a sixline? What do you feed yours? (if you have one)

Old 06-10-2005, 07:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Pghjeff71 Send a message via Yahoo to Pghjeff71
Hi, Wrasses are naturally carnivorous. I've had my sixline for about 4 months, and he now eats anything I put in the tank. At first he would only accept foods like you were using but now he'll eat flakes, pellets, nori and anything else. He also spends the majority of his time picking off pods on the live rock and aquarium glass. He was pretty shy at first, now he's very personable and is one of my favorite fish.

Jeff

Old 06-11-2005, 11:30 PM   #3

yeah, so far he's eaten both kinds of shrimp, but has passed by the pellets and flakes. The package of mysis shrimp lists vitamins in the ingredients area, so I guess I won't worry about him getting enough nutrients out of just two types of food.
He was so shy at first that I was afraid he didn't make it past the acclimation into the QT (he wedged himself sideways under the pvc pipe). But the next day he was swimming around and exploring with the clown. It looks like he's going to be a lot of fun!
Old 06-12-2005, 09:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Pghjeff71 Send a message via Yahoo to Pghjeff71
Scenicad, speaking of the wrasse, I was doing my water change last night and had the siphon in the tank and felt something nibblilng on my fingers (I was keeping an eye on the water in the bucket); sure enough my six line was nibbling on my fingers! My angel commonly does that but this was new for the wrasse. It's also interesting the way they can "play dead"; I saw him do this when I had in ich outbreak and had to move the fish into a QT. Hopefully you'll not experience this.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:54 PM   #5

Ha, that's what he was doing when I first put him in the QT. Turned on his side and when all limp. It really freaked me out.
I can't wait to put him in the display tank. There are a lot of hiding places, nooks & crannies. My only worry is that I have a few hitchiker crabs that I think are undesireables (fuzzy with black tipped claws), but I haven't been able to get them out yet. I hope he doesn't run into problems with them, especially since they hide in all of those dark little places. So far, they haven't gone after my shrimp or clown (but he stays out in the open any way). When anything gets close, they put their claws up, but they seem to be more defensive.

Tags
feeding, wrasse

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com