Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-18-2005, 09:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Feeding new Flame Angel

I have been searching my LFSs recently looking for a good looking Flame Angel to add to my tank. This search has been going on for about 2 months now and 2 days ago I finally found 1!!! It is a great looking specimen from the Christmas Islands which is where I've heard the better Flames come from. His coloration is beautiful and he has lots of energy and is very alert.

The LFS that I got him from had received him the same day that I purchased him. I figured it was better to get him right into my QT then let him sit in those tanks and possibly get diseases or parasites that might be in their system. I acclimated him for just over 2 hours and released him.

I know it is only the second day, but he hasn't eaten anything yet. All I have tried is some frozen mysis soaked in Zoe and garlic as well as clipping some Nori to a clip in the tank. He has showed no interest in either but is very active and swimming in the tank.

So, my question is (i know, i'm getting to the point) how long should I wait before I get concerned and how often should I attempt to feed him? Typically I check to make sure the fish is eating in the LFS before purchasing, so this is usually not an issue.

tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't know if getting him the same day the lfs got him was a great idea. I don't think I would worry too much just yet, but the fish has gone through a lot of stress and travel lately.

I'm not addicted... I can quit when ever I want...Wait...I'll just LOOK at the fish.

55 gal cycling. Will be FOWLR.
haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I also try to buy my fish before the LFS adds them to their tanks. A bit less stress for the fish if it can go from shipping to my QT. I get a 20% discount but no warrenty when I do this. Give your flame a couple more days to settle in. This is not an uncommon problem. If, after a couple more days, it is still not eating we can try some other options.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
I will keep an eye on him and see how it goes. I think he took some of the nori last night, but it's hard to tell. He still looks great and active so i'm not too concerned yet. I will post again if he starts to look bad.

tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
i had a coral beauty that didnt make it through QT, but when he was not sick and was eating he would wait for the nori to break up and then pick it off the power head input screen. he seemed to prefer grazing. he would also eat formula 2 flake

steve r
75g RR. 2x250 14k MH / 2x54 T5 act. 29g sump. ASM G1X skimmer. phosban reactor. 80lbs LS, 90lbs LR, 2x seio M620.
kole tang, bicolor angel, mandarin dragonette, ocellaris clown / BTA , cleaner shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, a variety of soft, SPS, and LPS corals, orange linckia star.
steve r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 01:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
My new flame angel began eating algae off the rocks within half an hour after being placed in my main tank. Yours may just need some more time. Good luck, they are a great looking fish
Fireworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had my flame for 7 months now, and when I first got him he didn't eat for 3-4 days. Once he got comfortable with the environment, he started eating. He is still the shyest one of the bunch, but he has come around. Give it some time.

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Konrade
my coral beauty likes formula one seaweed and squid. Also likes emerald stuff.

Konrade is offline   Reply With Quote

angel, feeding, flame, flame angel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com