feeding new goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve r

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i just a green clown goby. we have only had him 5 days and he seems healthy and pretty active. is there a way anyone can suggest to make sure food is getting to him. he hides in corals alot. i have sprinkled brine over him and raw shrimp soaked in garlic. i saw him eat one very small chunk of shrimp and one very small chunk of brine on seperate ocassions. he doesnt come out for food like the rest of the tank does. does he just need some more time to get used to his new home?

thanks
steve r

sorry for the bump, but this guy wont eat. it will be one week on weds since i got him. i think i am going to try mysis shrimp next. the fish is getting very thin but still very active. doesnt seem too shy anymore at all. any suggestions?

thanks
steve r

I'm thinking he may be just shy still. I've heard tell of fish not eating for a week trying to get comfortable in new digs. I'll bet he's eating by Christmas. Try feeding him and walking further away from the tank.

When I added my gobies, I did not see them for three days and then one day there they were. They started sifting through the sand and when food would hit the bottom, they would get it. I think he is still shy also. Just make sure you get food down by him and the other fish don't get it first.

thanks for the link. i am going to try to get some live brine i guess. i have never fed live food. i guess you learn something everyday. does "gut load" mean i should feed the brine some phyto or something first?

thanks again
steve r

i tried live brine. the goby didnt seem interested. the clown did though :)

i guess iwll keep trying and wait and see

steve r

Don't give up!!! Try a little more later. take some in a net and drop some garlic extract on them and let them soak for a few seconds and then toss them in. Just a thought. Fish seem to be attract to the smell of garlic.

thanks. i tried the garlic with the raw shrimp chunks. i will try again later. he seems a little more active in the evening. i wont give up on him. its way too cool of a fish. actually all fish are too cool to give up on :D

steve r

steve r,

Give it time. When I first added mine I thought it died and disappeared. Then about two weeks later I spotted it. Now it perches all over the tank and eagerly competes for whatever food I offer.

As for food Mysis shrimp and Green life line are the frozen staples I use which the green clown goby eagerly takes.

Remember these are very small fish and probably do not need a lot.

Good luck,

thanks. i just want to make sure i am not starving it by not offering the corerct foods.

all eyes on the minnesota game this week!!!!

steve r

Back
Top Bottom