Feeding options for my eels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishboy-from-NY

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone, I would like to know from everyone, what would be other foods that I can feed my eels since I only seem to feed them Silversides and Krill. Also, I am afraid to feeding them Guppies or Mollies since I would not want them to bring up a disease in my display tank which my other fish can catch. Please let me know.

FW and SW diseases pretty much never have issues due to the completely different osmotic pressures. Parasites will typically explode/implode and bacteria's will not live either due to the extremely different pH values. That said, the FW fish will have little nutritional value for the eel and can often cause intestinal issues.

Alternatives would be shrimp, clams, mussles, squid and the like. You can even convert black mollies over to salt and breed them as a food source. After a few generations, they should offer good food value.

Cheers
Steve

When I had an eel, Prior to its great excape, :( I feed it my blender mush. its basicly a half dozen types of fresh seafood run thru a blender to get all kinds of different meat sizes and then frozen into small blocks for easy feeding.

Fishboy-from-NY said:
cool, so I can feed them mollies then.
Only after they have been converted to a SW environment and have gone through a few generations. I would still suggest feeding alternate sources to be sure the eels nutritional needs are met but the SW mollies should be a decent enough staple.

Cheers
Steve

Any meaty marine food should work. I love the variety you can get from frozen foods. A turkey baster serves nicely to get it into face range where they can suck it up. I have one that goes nuts when the turkey baster goes in. He practically suckles from it. Soaking in Selcon or Zoe ups the nutritional value, too. I like "hand" feeding though.

Have you tried grass shrimp? Easy to gut load those guys.

I feed my eel fresh raw shrimp from the fish store. I just shell it and cut it into pieces a little smaller than the size of his mouth. I use chopsticks to hold the pieces out in front of him and move it away to simulate live food. He will strike at it like a snake and swollow it down. I do the same thing with whole silver sides, when i can find them. He doesnt like to eat live food any more for some reason, but he LOVES to kill them when i put them in the tank. :twisted:

feed my eel fresh raw shrimp from the fish store. I just shell it and cut it into pieces a little smaller than the size of his mouth. I use chopsticks to hold the pieces out in front of him and move it away to simulate live food. He will strike at it like a snake and swollow it down. I do the same thing with whole silver sides, when i can find them. He doesnt like to eat live food any more for some reason, but he LOVES to kill them when i put them in the tank.
same here it is fun to watch him stalk then attack the food :D

Back
Top Bottom