Feeding over weekends and Storing SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajs2294

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Nano reef set up and have a few questions. I frequently leave for a few days at a time 3 tops, a healthy fish fed well before leaving should be fine correct? I do have an automatic feeder on the way in hopes of giving very small/light feedings over the time period but would rather not do full feeds without supervision. Also, how long is a "safe" period of storing SW (around a gallon at a time)?

:thanks:

Hi and welcome to AA. 3 days inbetween feedings are just fine. Some folks feed their twice a week and are plump as can be. I haven't had the best of luck with auto feeders. I'd be interested to see how your experience works out.

As for storing SW, it can be stored for quite awhile in a closed container. Even more so if it's in the dark etc. How long were you planning on storing the SW?

Aireate the water with a powerhead before adding to the tank. I'd stay away from auto feeders. Hard to control and do just a small enuf amount for such a small tank IMO. I feed a little heavier in the days prior to me leaving. I've gone for as much as six or seven days.

I was think along the lines of two-ish weeks for the SW. Probably in a washed out milk jug and stored in a closet. Would this work? Since it would be a low volume would shaking the jug for a few minutes prior to using be acceptable?

As far of the feedings I'm thinking about probably setting up a schedule of feeds between Sunday-Thursday and just taking Sat/Sun off so the fish will be used to my absence? Is there any set amount to feed SW fish? I have kept FW fish from Guppies all the way to Discus for years but SW is a new ball game for me I apologize for the "newb" questions :lol:

Thanks again,
ajs2294

I think your fish will be fine over the 3 day period. I used to take multiple trips per year for extended amounts of days and never fed my fish while away and it worked out just fine. Automatic feeders are hit or miss. The cheap ones will cause you more harm then good. Make sure to get a unit that plugs into a wall outlet. Battery powered units will continue to feed in the event your power goes out. In this case you are feeding a tank that has no form of filtration running.

As for SW it can easily be stored for several weeks. As mentioned above keep it in a closed container and aerate before introduction to the tank. Be sure to check the salinity of your water that has been sitting though. Naturally evaporation could have altered the salinity.

I purchased the Coralife Deep Six Hydrometer and read a few mixed review online about accuracy. Is there any tell tale signs that live stock show if salinity shifts?

I don't believe shaking it will do. Get a small cheap pump. What size is your tank? Trying to determine what a 1g water change will do. I generally feed once every other day an amount it takes about1-2 minutes to eat. Before a trip, i might feed 2x daily in the 2-3 days leading up to a trip.

I'd suggest spending $50 on a refractometer. Hydrometers aren't reliable like you've already heard.
Marine Depot Aquarium Refractometer

I second Austinsdad's suggestion. While they do need occasional calibrating refractometers are an invaluable tool.

Look furtger in to a refractometer when i have the money to...For the mean time ill check my hydro with the local lfs. The tank is actually a "pico" I think since its 2.5 gallons so water changes will be frequent. Would putting an airstone in the jug for an hour or two prior to the water change suffice? I have seen premixed salt packaged at petsmart, is that any different? My gut says lfs is better.

Back
Top Bottom