Feeding plankton to tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a bunch of feather dusters that came on my LR and was reading that the eat plankton. Will my LFS sell this, I thinkI read where somebody turned off there skimmer for an hour and added a teaspoon every few days?

Your LFS may sell it. It is called DT'S phyto plankton. It is by far the best. If you cannot find it locally send me a PM and I'll take care of you!

Sounds good! Thanks. I just also read that serpent stars may eat these?

You can get DT's Phytoplankton, it is concentrated but also a bit costly. Or:

I buy mine off of ebay (search for phytoplankton).

This weekend I'm gonna pick up 2 10 gallon tanks, one for raising artemia and one for propogating Zooplankton. Then I won't have to buy zooplankton anymore.

Anyway the Artemia (brine shrimp) are teeny filter feeders and like to eat zooplankton so wih the tanks together I will just scoop over a measured amount to the Artemia when they need it.

Anyway I digress.

When I started adding Phytoplankton to my SW tanks I noticed a positive difference in the anemones and corals and stuff, as expected. 8)

I use Bio Plankton from liquidlifeusa.com My corals love it, you can actually see my one coral extend it's tenticals about a minute after I put some in...

Mine comes in a squirt bottle and I mix in one squirt every other day to slowly build the ammount of plankton.

FYI DT's phytoplankton is live plant plankton and need to be refrigerated. I use Kent's plankton products with pretty good results. They have several different kinds in different particle sizes for different organisms. Microvert, phytoplex, zooplex(zooplankton), are the three I remember offhand. They don't need chilled.

Sneaker said:
I use Bio Plankton from liquidlifeusa.com My corals love it, you can actually see my one coral extend it's tenticals about a minute after I put some in...

Mine comes in a squirt bottle and I mix in one squirt every other day to slowly build the ammount of plankton.
Agreed, the Bio Plankton is very good IMO. I have only been using it a short time but am already pleased with the results after switching from DT's. It's a concentrated product that you mix with tank water before introduction. It also does not have the drawback of getting a fouled bottle that's gone off and fighting with the store that sold it... :wink: i would not really recommend it from an on-line source though as it must be kept frozen.

Cheers
Steve

I my lfs has been out of DT for a few months so I have been using Marine Snow. Is this a comparable product??

Marine Snow was found to be basically water. It is pretty useless IMO. Liquid life is awedome but the overnight shipping is exspensive!

Gee isnt that nice :x ... I just checked the bottle and Ive been paying 17.99 a bottle for it... Julian strikes again... He owns the company that makes it.

Well I can't belive my LFS doesn't carry any frozen Plankton :evil: They have everything else possible incudling 8 freezer doors of other frozen food. I saw the products by Kent, should I just go with that for now or buy some off ebay or what?

Just found some DT's at Hidden Reef. How often should I feed this to my tank, only have a couple small feather dusters and 1 coral.

Live phytoplankton and the like serves two purposes. It will feed some corals/general filter feeders as well as feeding the fauna that can indirectly feed the corals as well, copepods, mysid shrimp and such.

The recommended dosage is 5 ml per 15 gal of tank water 2x/week but I think you would be fine with ½ that amount. 5 teaspoons twice a week should do it, mabye even less. Keep a look out for increased amounts of film and other nuisance algaes. If you see a dramatic increase, cut back until you see the algaes subside. DT's is a greaat product but it can also make a tank nutrient rich if using more than is needed.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom