Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-20-2003, 12:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Feeding plankton to tank

I have a bunch of feather dusters that came on my LR and was reading that the eat plankton. Will my LFS sell this, I thinkI read where somebody turned off there skimmer for an hour and added a teaspoon every few days?

Old 11-20-2003, 12:05 AM   #2

Your LFS may sell it. It is called DT'S phyto plankton. It is by far the best. If you cannot find it locally send me a PM and I'll take care of you!

Old 11-20-2003, 12:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Sounds good! Thanks. I just also read that serpent stars may eat these?
Old 11-20-2003, 12:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can get DT's Phytoplankton, it is concentrated but also a bit costly. Or:

I buy mine off of ebay (search for phytoplankton).

This weekend I'm gonna pick up 2 10 gallon tanks, one for raising artemia and one for propogating Zooplankton. Then I won't have to buy zooplankton anymore.

Anyway the Artemia (brine shrimp) are teeny filter feeders and like to eat zooplankton so wih the tanks together I will just scoop over a measured amount to the Artemia when they need it.

Anyway I digress.

When I started adding Phytoplankton to my SW tanks I noticed a positive difference in the anemones and corals and stuff, as expected. 8)
Old 11-20-2003, 12:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I use Bio Plankton from liquidlifeusa.com My corals love it, you can actually see my one coral extend it's tenticals about a minute after I put some in...

Mine comes in a squirt bottle and I mix in one squirt every other day to slowly build the ammount of plankton.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
FYI DT's phytoplankton is live plant plankton and need to be refrigerated. I use Kent's plankton products with pretty good results. They have several different kinds in different particle sizes for different organisms. Microvert, phytoplex, zooplex(zooplankton), are the three I remember offhand. They don't need chilled.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:54 AM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaker
I use Bio Plankton from liquidlifeusa.com My corals love it, you can actually see my one coral extend it's tenticals about a minute after I put some in...

Mine comes in a squirt bottle and I mix in one squirt every other day to slowly build the ammount of plankton.
Agreed, the Bio Plankton is very good IMO. I have only been using it a short time but am already pleased with the results after switching from DT's. It's a concentrated product that you mix with tank water before introduction. It also does not have the drawback of getting a fouled bottle that's gone off and fighting with the store that sold it... i would not really recommend it from an on-line source though as it must be kept frozen.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-20-2003, 11:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I my lfs has been out of DT for a few months so I have been using Marine Snow. Is this a comparable product??
Old 11-20-2003, 02:12 PM   #9

Marine Snow was found to be basically water. It is pretty useless IMO. Liquid life is awedome but the overnight shipping is exspensive!
Old 11-20-2003, 04:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Gee isnt that nice ... I just checked the bottle and Ive been paying 17.99 a bottle for it... Julian strikes again... He owns the company that makes it.

Tags
feeding, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com