Feeding Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daxman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok here are my current fish tankmates, all are very young and between 2-4 inches max size):

-Volitan Lionfish
-Blue Regal Tang
-Foxface
-Flame Angelfish
-Lunare Wrasse
-Dogface Pufferfish
-Niger Trigger

I need some input on feeding. Everything I read seems to say feed the Lionfish 2-3x per week and to feed pretty much the rest of the fish 2-3x per day. On that same thought I hear that people only feed their tanks once aday to help avoid waste issues and over feeding.

Currently I'm doing the following, and I'd love some input:
-Morning Feeding: Granuals (everybody but the Lion & Puffer love them)
-Mid Day Feeding: I place a ok sized piece of Zoe soaked Seaweed/Kelp to enjoy (puffer, foxface, and tang love it)
-Evening: I switch out between frozen Krill, MISIS Shrimp, or Clam (pretty much everyone loves the meaty foods, of course the Lion loves anything he can swallow)

Sometimes I'll give them a little bit more of the granuals instead of the frozen food, just depends.

So am I feeding too much? Not enough? Could I be doing it better?

Any advice is welcome! :)

~DaxMAN

you have a group of huge waste fish ! but if your water quality stays up then feedings like that are fine ! in my puffer/eel/grouper tank they get fed every 3-4 days :)

Maybe some hermit crabs will help clean up the mess. I dont have a big tank but the same rules apply as far as waste and such. I have 3 bluelegged hermit crabs they they do a good job of eating any food that was not eaten by the fish. Post some pics of your tank It would be great to see.

The hermits may be OK for a while with the fish being small, but would eventually become part of the food chain with that group. 8O
What would help here is siphoning up any uneaten food, a tornado powered skimmer and a good water change schedule.

You must have a huge tank!

As for feeding, I only feed every other day for the most part. I put nori in if the Tang appears to be hungry.

Back
Top Bottom