Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-09-2004, 08:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Feeding Questions

Ok here are my current fish tankmates, all are very young and between 2-4 inches max size):

-Volitan Lionfish
-Blue Regal Tang
-Flame Angelfish
-Lunare Wrasse
-Dogface Pufferfish
-Niger Trigger

I need some input on feeding. Everything I read seems to say feed the Lionfish 2-3x per week and to feed pretty much the rest of the fish 2-3x per day. On that same thought I hear that people only feed their tanks once aday to help avoid waste issues and over feeding.

Currently I'm doing the following, and I'd love some input:
-Morning Feeding: Granuals (everybody but the Lion & Puffer love them)
-Mid Day Feeding: I place a ok sized piece of Zoe soaked Seaweed/Kelp to enjoy (puffer, foxface, and tang love it)
-Evening: I switch out between frozen Krill, MISIS Shrimp, or Clam (pretty much everyone loves the meaty foods, of course the Lion loves anything he can swallow)

Sometimes I'll give them a little bit more of the granuals instead of the frozen food, just depends.

So am I feeding too much? Not enough? Could I be doing it better?

Any advice is welcome!

daxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
you have a group of huge waste fish ! but if your water quality stays up then feedings like that are fine ! in my puffer/eel/grouper tank they get fed every 3-4 days

good luck keith
scuba_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Maybe some hermit crabs will help clean up the mess. I dont have a big tank but the same rules apply as far as waste and such. I have 3 bluelegged hermit crabs they they do a good job of eating any food that was not eaten by the fish. Post some pics of your tank It would be great to see.

20 Gallon Long, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 3 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, 1 Carpet Anemone, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 20 LBS of LS and about 6 LBS of LR.

Marineland Millenium HOB Filter.
Marineland Seaclone 100 Skimmer.
Powersweep PH
2 10,000k HO
2 Actinic HO
gozetec02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
The hermits may be OK for a while with the fish being small, but would eventually become part of the food chain with that group. 8O
What would help here is siphoning up any uneaten food, a tornado powered skimmer and a good water change schedule.
quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 12:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
You must have a huge tank!

As for feeding, I only feed every other day for the most part. I put nori in if the Tang appears to be hungry.
*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com