Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2004, 08:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to mikebranson
Feeding Sailfin Tang

I have tried feeding formula one and two and both have been unsuccessful, but this guy eats tons of green leaf lettuce. Can i feed him too much lettuce? I only feed a piece at a time, but he can take down a 4x4 inch square in an afternoon and has done so for the last 2 wks ive had him. What else could i add to his diet? (tried broccoli - not too interested)

TIA

Michael

Old 12-30-2004, 08:51 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Get him some nori. It's the stuff they wrap sushi in. I get mine at the sushi bar in the supermarket. I use a clip and my SF and others love it.

Did you get him at a lfs? If so, what was he eating there?
Are you using flake or frozen?

Mine chows down on just about anything but I recently switched to home made blender mush and every other day feedings.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

i cant get him to eat anything off the top of the water.. my maroon clown gets everything first... he eats romaine lettuce by the head from a fish clip...

how are you feeding this mush and what is it?
Old 12-31-2004, 10:49 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Do a search on blender mush and you should find several recipes here. It's jsut fortified FRESH fish, clams, etc. from the fish store taht you blend with some nori and garlic and vitimins, then freeze.
OK, I'll save you the trouble. These are various other posts here about making your own fish food:

SELCON recipe # 1
Go to the FISH MARKET where you would buy FRESH FISH for your family to eat and purchase the following:

1 or 2 uncooked shrimp
A few fresh clams (in the shell)
Scraps of fish fillet (tuna, cod, salmon, etc.)
1 Squid, cleaned but not cooked
A few scallops

Remove the shrimp and clams from their shells and pat the meat dry on a paper towel.
Wrap each shrimp and each clam with plastic wrap and put in freezer overnight.
Wrap each of the remaining ingredients individually with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
The next day, carefully cut each frozen piece by using a serrated bread knife; trying to make thin slices, the approximate thickness of a nickel.
Continue to chop these small frozen slices to the size of a grain of rice.
Small pieces of fish will cut best when frozen. Put all of the chopped pieces into a small bowl and add enough Selcon Concentrate (shake first) to give the mixture a consistency similar to cooked oatmeal.
I also like to add a few scoops of Masago, which is the roe of Capelin or Smelt, commonly used by Japanese to make Sushi. The eggs are colored bright orange, approximately 1 mm in diameter and relished by all of the tank inhabitants. You can purchase small amounts of this in any oriental specialty store or perhaps a friendly Sushi restaurant.
The mixture can now be thinly spread onto a sheet of plastic wrap and frozen. Miniature ice cube trays or empty cube packs work very well also.
Make small batches of this recipe and make it frequently...Enjoy
================================================== ======================
Go to the seafood counter and get the freshest of the follwing you can find. You don't need all of it but the more the better.

Fish (not fatty)
scallops
squid
clams or oysters
uncooked shrimp
crab (shelled)
anything else that looks good

Chop it all up in small pieces. Put it in a blender or food processor. Throw in a few healthy pinches of flake food. If you have any Krill add some of it too. Add a couple crushed multi vitamins (the people kind). Add a sheet or so of unseasoned Nori (seaweed used for wrapping sushi available at Oriental restaraunts) and enough water to make a mush. If you want (I do) add a packet of Knox unflavored geletin to hold it together better when feeding. Mix the geletin in a small amount of boiling water before adding it. Blend some more. Pour this into pint ziplock bags until it is about 3/8-1/4" thick when the bag is flattened out. Lay the bags flat on a plate and put in the freezer. When frozen pull a bag out and chop it up into 1/2" cubes (or so). Put these into another baggie and store in the freezer.

================================================== ===============
add scrimp, clams, scallops etc...basically a little of whatever the fish shop has on hand. I add nori, cod oil, you can add selcon or zoe or some sort of viatamin. I use tank water to thin it out. Becareful it is real easy to blend it too long, the idea is to have a varying chunk size from liquified to fishy bite size. I like to put it in a quart size zip lock bag and lay it flat on a cookie sheet and then freeze it, break off what you need and feed

you could also add in some: zooplankton, phytoplankton, brine, mysid, bloodworms....ect.

Remeber when you are blending it not to blend it to much. Yuou are looking for peices in many different sizes, ie: sizes for your fish, crabs, worms corals and so on. Make sure your Blender is real clean before u use it, run it under boiling water, (gets rid of any antibacterial dish soap that may be on it.

go to the grocery store and buy the uncooked raw shrimp and simply take off the shell. also concerning the different particle sizes i would just cut the meat up as best you can with a knife and throw half in the blender at the biggining so you blend that to almost a puree. then add the rest of the meat at the end to keep some larger peices.

I add a portion of all the ingredients a little at a time, in stages, so the first bit you put in is liquified the next batch isn't quite as processed and so until you got a mix of particle and chunk sizes.

yes the food must be frozen after you prepare it, if not it will rot and won't be any good for more than a day. It really depends on how many fish your feeding. For three fish I add a small chunk, maybe 1/2" by 1/2".

if you go to a hobby store and look in the paint section, you'll find little plastic trays for a buck or so that have little dimples in them. The dimples are about 1/2-1" and usualy about 15-20 on a tray. buy 10 trays. make your mush. pour the mush into the trays. put the trays in the freezer. when they're frozen, pop out your pre-measured mush lumps and feed as desired! (you could even pop them out ahead of time and put them in a baggie to save space in your freezer) They're paint mixing trays. They're used for mixing small amounts of paint to get a specific color. Usualy for painting models or figurines, etc.

For cleaning I just used a bit of vinager in the blender and then in the hot water it goes. I also use the freezer bag like Kevin.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the info!!
Off to the fish store..
Old 12-31-2004, 07:06 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Don't forget the nori. Toasted is fine just make sure there's nothing else added.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
I use the seaweed stuff with my tang not sure what it is but I give it to him about 4 times a week...he also eats pellets.

Tags
feeding, sailfin, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com