Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Feeding Schedule?

Here it is. The all to popular, "Am I feeding too much or too little?" Question, question. I have the Eheim auto feeder and it works like a swiss clock. I have a 10 gallon tank and the feeder is set for two rotations which give one healthy pinch of dried Mysis. That's one healthy pinch, not two. Any how, on top of that I put in a sliver of a cube of frozen Spirulina, Mysis, and Brine I believe once a week on Fridays. Now, my tank is about a month now and everybody is happy healthy. Any words of wisdom on adding to or reducing of the feedings?

BTW, LFS recommended feeding twice a day, that's what got me thinking.

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

All I can offer is this... I feed my tank once every other day and the fish and corals are fine.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
All I can offer is this... I feed my tank once every other day and the fish and corals are fine.
I suppose logic would dictate: Amount, frequency and tank size are the most important things to consider. How much and what do you feed? What is your stock?

Old 03-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces3473 View Post

I suppose logic would dictate: Amount, frequency and tank size are the most important things to consider. How much and what do you feed? What is your stock?
Bio cube 29 stock:

2 clowns
2 cardinals
1 orange spotted goby
1 six line wrasse
1 hawk fish
1 harliquen shrimp
1 pistol shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
1 blood shrimp
2 cleaner shrimp
1 brittle starfish

Assorted snails and hermits.

I feed:

Reef nutrition
http://reefnutrition.com/

Mysis feast and oyster feast.

Then the regular squares of brine, mysis etc I also like rods food.

http://www.rodsfood.com/

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 03-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's a lot of... stuff. I suppose I'm just used to looking at my 10. Do you add it all at the same time or space it out throughout the day? Is there something special in the 'Reef Nutrition' that makes it better for the entire reef or is it just a name and is simply fish food? Seems as if the cubes I've got are similar to yours.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces3473 View Post
That's a lot of... stuff. I suppose I'm just used to looking at my 10. Do you add it all at the same time or space it out throughout the day? Is there something special in the 'Reef Nutrition' that makes it better for the entire reef or is it just a name and is simply fish food? Seems as if the cubes I've got are similar to yours.
One shot One kill so to speak lol. I soak in Selcon then feed.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=5009

Old 03-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post

One shot One kill so to speak lol. I soak in Selcon then feed.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=5009
I could use this once a week. Or, could I just add .05 ml to tank for the corals, daily?

Old 03-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I have a 55 reef. 2 Occy clowns, indigo dottyback, green mandarin, coral beauty, marine betta, a pj cardinal, and a lawnmower blenny. I feed 1 cube of either mysis, brine, or blood worms twice a week. Everything in my tank is fat. I feed anymore and I start to see increased algae growth.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think it's really down to u and if u get algae problems as when I got my sw tank was asking loads people and everyone says different from feeding them every other day to 3 times aday, even the guy at lfs says 3 times aday which I did but had red algae growning so only feedin twice aday now but feed mine flake or pallet once and live or frozen once aday to give good diet and fish are looking great but like miss aday now and again
Old 03-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

At the max I would say every other day. I also don't like flakes or pellets, ended up with parameter issues from them when I started out with saltwater. Even with frozen foods, like mysis or brine shrimp, you need to be careful. In smaller tanks you might need to cut cubes in half to avoid overfeeding.

In terms of feeding your corals...I've tried it and failed. Others have success with it, but even with a Julian's thing to target feed over broadcast feeding the algae has started to creep up. If you can pull off feeding corals, congrats. I wish I could do it.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feeding, schedule

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com