Feeding Schedule?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pisces3473

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here it is. The all to popular, "Am I feeding too much or too little?" Question, question. I have the Eheim auto feeder and it works like a swiss clock. I have a 10 gallon tank and the feeder is set for two rotations which give one healthy pinch of dried Mysis. That's one healthy pinch, not two. Any how, on top of that I put in a sliver of a cube of frozen Spirulina, Mysis, and Brine I believe once a week on Fridays. Now, my tank is about a month now and everybody is happy healthy. Any words of wisdom on adding to or reducing of the feedings?

BTW, LFS recommended feeding twice a day, that's what got me thinking.

:thanks:

All I can offer is this... I feed my tank once every other day and the fish and corals are fine.

I suppose logic would dictate: Amount, frequency and tank size are the most important things to consider. How much and what do you feed? What is your stock?

I suppose logic would dictate: Amount, frequency and tank size are the most important things to consider. How much and what do you feed? What is your stock?

Bio cube 29 stock:

2 clowns
2 cardinals
1 orange spotted goby
1 six line wrasse
1 hawk fish
1 harliquen shrimp
1 pistol shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
1 blood shrimp
2 cleaner shrimp
1 brittle starfish

Assorted snails and hermits.

I feed:

Reef nutrition
http://reefnutrition.com/

Mysis feast and oyster feast.

Then the regular squares of brine, mysis etc I also like rods food.

http://www.rodsfood.com/

That's a lot of... stuff. I suppose I'm just used to looking at my 10. Do you add it all at the same time or space it out throughout the day? Is there something special in the 'Reef Nutrition' that makes it better for the entire reef or is it just a name and is simply fish food? Seems as if the cubes I've got are similar to yours.

That's a lot of... stuff. I suppose I'm just used to looking at my 10. Do you add it all at the same time or space it out throughout the day? Is there something special in the 'Reef Nutrition' that makes it better for the entire reef or is it just a name and is simply fish food? Seems as if the cubes I've got are similar to yours.

One shot One kill so to speak lol. I soak in Selcon then feed.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5009

I have a 55 reef. 2 Occy clowns, indigo dottyback, green mandarin, coral beauty, marine betta, a pj cardinal, and a lawnmower blenny. I feed 1 cube of either mysis, brine, or blood worms twice a week. Everything in my tank is fat. I feed anymore and I start to see increased algae growth.

I think it's really down to u and if u get algae problems as when I got my sw tank was asking loads people and everyone says different from feeding them every other day to 3 times aday, even the guy at lfs says 3 times aday which I did but had red algae growning so only feedin twice aday now but feed mine flake or pallet once and live or frozen once aday to give good diet and fish are looking great but like miss aday now and again

At the max I would say every other day. I also don't like flakes or pellets, ended up with parameter issues from them when I started out with saltwater. Even with frozen foods, like mysis or brine shrimp, you need to be careful. In smaller tanks you might need to cut cubes in half to avoid overfeeding.

In terms of feeding your corals...I've tried it and failed. Others have success with it, but even with a Julian's thing to target feed over broadcast feeding the algae has started to creep up. If you can pull off feeding corals, congrats. I wish I could do it.

At the max I would say every other day. I also don't like flakes or pellets, ended up with parameter issues from them when I started out with saltwater. Even with frozen foods, like mysis or brine shrimp, you need to be careful. In smaller tanks you might need to cut cubes in half to avoid overfeeding.

In terms of feeding your corals...I've tried it and failed. Others have success with it, but even with a Julian's thing to target feed over broadcast feeding the algae has started to creep up. If you can pull off feeding corals, congrats. I wish I could do it.

What I've found best is just cut the end of a refractometer water dropper which makes it just big enough for mysis. Then you can suck back up any stragglers after each broadcast fairly easy, just use like 10 mysis per squirt lol. Using this method I get about 95% of the food to my corals (when I do feed them that is which isn't often).

I only put a pinch of flake or pallets in and put the frozen in little cup of tank water to defrost it then put through net so only foods goin in tank and no waste and my test are all good still got little red algae from when was over feeding but it takes time to get rid 100% as was over feeding for bout 6 months as listened to guy from lfs but few more wks and sould all been gone and I only feed enought so there eating for bout 30 sec to 1 min but its up2 u really

Thanks all, I appreciate what you've said. I think I'm gonna check out the Rod's Food and see what's what, when I run out of my current supply. It's interesting I mentioned to my LFS that I want to add some different colors to my tank. Currently I've got an over abundance of green and purple. I popped in for some prime yesterday and there's different colored brains, and blasto's some really sick pieces! I may be getting one more thing but will have to rearrange yet again...

Back
Top Bottom