Feeding shrimp to a trigger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuOD

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm really excited to soon have a chance to feed my pinktail trigger something. He's been hiding since I put him into the aquarium and only swims around when no one is in the room (as soon as we walk in, he darts into the rocks). It's pretty cool because he has large eyes and you can see him looking at you.

Anyway, I picked up some plain, uncooked white shrimp (or something like that) from the grocer. It is called 51/60 per pound, and is actually quite large. I know nothing at all about sea food so I was looking for advice on how to feed him.

I thought I could give him them frozen and it would let him chomp down his teeth, but I don't know what size/how to give it to him. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, I was thinking I could break part off and try giving it to my anemone. It'd need to be a very small piece and I don't know how to target feed it unless it's frozen?

Thanks!

I don't eat seafood myself and know nothing about it. Do I need to break of shrimp tails or just feed the whole thing? Do I feed it frozen or thawed?

Can I buy little clams I just throw in at the grocery store?

You definitely don't want to feed any fish frozen food (I think frozen may have phosphates), it is hard for them to digest. You could probably throw the whole thing in and the clean up crew will take care of the left overs.
GuOD said:
Can I buy little clams I just throw in at the grocery store?
You want to get SW clams. I wouldn't put a bunch of them in your tank because they tend to come from cooler waters (depending on where you are and where the clams come from) and could die and fould your tank.
I would wait for more experienced folks to chime in, before you make your decision.

Hmmm...how could I buy shrimp to feed him unless they're frozen? Also, I do believe there is salt and phosphates added to these uncooked shrimp, but nothing else. These are not ok for the fish?? I was just gonna toss one in later today but maybe I won't... I tried looking but there weren't ANY plain, uncooked shrimp w/o saltor phosphates.

Should I return the shrimp I bought to the store?

You don't have a fresh seafood section in your grocery store? If you feed your fish frozen, just soak it in a glass with some of your tank water, until it thaws out.

Oh, I went there after midnight last night so the fish section was closed. I also figured that it would be way easier to just buy a 50 pack for $8 and feed those over time rather than buying unfrozen frequently.

Will it be fine to feed a thawed uncooked shrimp that has salt/phosphates? Basically, am I safe to simply thaw these frozen shrimp and feed them?

Also, I guess if it's thawed it won't really help with his teeth - I'll have to investigate the SW clams at the grocery store.

I would rinse the shrimp in RO/DI or tap water, thet should help with the phosphates. I think, if the shrimp are big enough, their exoskeletons might be hard enough to help with the teeth.

Well, I gave a very small piece to the anemone and it ate it I guess.

The trigger didn't come out for the shrimp at all - the other fish even ignored it as I don't think they knew what it was. I didn't want it to just decay there so I took it out.

When I put some brine shrimp in for the other fish the trigger still didn't come out. Whenever he sees me he goes into hiding so i'm not sure how I can feed him.

I've heard that dipping in garlic can work well - but I thought garlic wasn't a liquid. What can I do to make my trigger come for the shrimp?

In the store I saw him he and he gobbled down the food but now he's scared

wow im sry but there is no problem with feeding frozen foods at all period. commercial shrimp come of sw orgin and are probly the healthiest food stuff for a salt water preds. also buy the raw shrimp and freeze it yourself most of the time already frozen shrimp in bags are cooked. trying to say there is a differant chemical component of frozen and thawd shrimp, im at a loss of words.

Depending on how large your trigger is will tell you how big the pieces are. You purchased the right food. Thaw in water, peel shrimp, then cut it into about 4-5 pieces. If it easily swallows that, you might make the pieces a tad larger.

Kohan Bros. said:
wow im sry but there is no problem with feeding frozen foods at all period.
I totally agree, I feed my fish frozen all the time. My main point was not to feed the shrimp while it was still frozen (it is hard for them to digest, due to the differences in temp) and also, some preservative used for freezing can contain nitrAtes/phosphates.
Kohan Bros. said:
trying to say there is a differant chemical component of frozen and thawd shrimp, im at a loss of words.
I'm not sure if this is a question or a statement, but try soaking a raw, uncooked shrimp in RO/DI water and take a nitrAte, phosphate test. Next, try it with a frozen shrimp and see what you get. I'd be willing to bet you will see phosphates and nitrAtes. I believe someone in this forum did that test, along with flakes. Of course, I could totally off. Old age is sitting in! LOL!
GuOD said:
I've heard that dipping in garlic can work well - but I thought garlic wasn't a liquid.
Some people squeeze their own garlic. I bought mine online at drsfosterandsmith.com. I have also heard of folks getting it from GNC or other health stores, but I can't remember what they said to look for.
I add two drops (for my 55G) and let the food soak for at least 20 minutes, no more than 30 minutes. My fish go crazy. There are claims that it will induce finicky eater to eat, but there are no real scientific test to prove this (it works for me). Garlic had been proven to help boost their immune systems, in order to fight off infections and disease.

KB, There no reason to get upset about someone elses opinion. That was his and you stated yours. That is all that needs to be said. There are many opinions and ideas on this site and while we dont have to agree with them we have to let people state theirs without dramatic comments. Thanks

Some thawed processed shrimp has a preservative to keep it from spoiling.

My Pink Tail eats almost everything I feed my tank. From lettuce, nori, clams, mussels, squid and several types of shrimp. Do you have any oriental food stores near by?

I'm still looking for some hard shelled shrimp to wear down the teeth on my 4 triggers.

As for garlic, I use extreme garlic to quell ICH outbreaks or when a new fish is added to one of my tanks or to boost the immune system. I rarely use QT tanks.

Back
Top Bottom