Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Feeding soft corals

Hey just looking for some good advice on feeding soft corals? Button polyps and red shrooms. Any type of brand that you had good success with or what to stay away from thanks. What should I be looking for in calcium, mag, or any other water testing or not a big concern for simpler corals?

Old 07-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Those are strong corals that can withstand most water parameters. You should, have your Alk lowest 9 highest 11, 450 calcium should be straight and I'm. It really sure on mag. Hopefully your LFS does water tests. Go there and they should really help you out. Good luck! 😄

Old 07-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you very much! What's a good phytoplankton food for them? I'm going there tomorrow just don't want to walk out with a bunch of stuff I don't need!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

They'll probably test your levels and tell you what you need to boost your levels. If they tell you to buy anything such as Calcium or Alk boosters get them in powder form. It's a little. More tedious but I believe it works better. I don't really know about Phytoplankton my friend gave me his old bottle cuz he took down his tank.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think many would tell you not to buy any food from your LFS for the corals you have. In regards to dosing your water, I have found that those supplements just mess up your water chemistry. A small weekly partial water change will provide your water with all the supplements your tank water needs. I find this to work better and it's much less expensive. Funny my LFS keeps commenting on how great my water parameters have gotten. It's because I stopped listening to them and followed the advice I have gotten on this site. This site is amazing. Good luck
Old 07-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Soft corals are simple and hardy. Having a proper regiment of 10% water changes weekly and lighting is all you need. Dosing your tank can/will screw up your water chemisty and lead to larger issues. As for feeding, I have tried. All I have ever gotten out of it is bad algae blooms and cyano.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Soft corals are simple and hardy. Having a proper regiment of 10% water changes weekly and lighting is all you need. Dosing your tank can/will screw up your water chemisty and lead to larger issues. As for feeding, I have tried. All I have ever gotten out of it is bad algae blooms and cyano.
+1

Most coral feeding just leads to nutrient problems.

Also you dont need to be dosing anything meaning no calcium/alk. Water changes will replace the small amount taken up.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The softies in general don't need feeding. Most depend on their algae and free floating bits in the tank. I have never intentionally fed mine and they grow like weeds.
Water quality, flow and lighting are what you have to work with and once those issues are all stable, the softies will grow like mad.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fishy View Post
Thank you very much! What's a good phytoplankton food for them? I'm going there tomorrow just don't want to walk out with a bunch of stuff I don't need!
You dont even need that. All they need is good lighting and what they get from the water column.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58

You dont even need that. All they need is good lighting and what they get from the water column.
What he said ^. Photosynthetic critters are photosynthetic.

Tags
coral, corals, feeding, soft, soft corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com