Feeding sparingly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have heard many mixed opinions concerning feeding. Some say that it needs done every day. Some say every other day. Some say twice a day. What would be highest recommended? I currently feed everyday. I have:

Ocellaris clown x2
Green chromis x2
Royal gramma
Bangai Cardinal
Flame angel
Coral beauty

55g tank with 20g sump

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have heard many mixed opinions concerning feeding. Some say that it needs done every day. Some say every other day. Some say twice a day. What would be highest recommended? I currently feed everyday. I have:

Ocellaris clown x2
Green chromis x2
Royal gramma
Bangai Cardinal
Flame angel
Coral beauty

55g tank with 20g sump

I like to think in that nature, they wouldnt eat everyday. Feeding every other day would also keep water cleaner (assuming you dont over feed those days). Really it also depends on your stock and water change schedule.

I feed my 55 reef tank...with 20 sump...every 3 days half a cube of mysis. I have:
2 occellaris clowns
Coral Beauty
PJ Cardinal
Lawnmower blenny
Marine betta

I think it depends on how much you feed (volume) I used to feed every three days a mixed diet. Now I feed daily but it's still the same amount of food weekly. Does that make sense? So just much smaller amounts each day...

The folks who say you need to feed twice a day are way off. I feed my home system daily, and not very much, but I only have 3 fish and a few shrimp. I feed a tank I maintain that has multiple ML tangs and rabbitfish twice a week and each feeding consists of about a quarter sized piece of frozen food (homemade) and a whole sheet of nori. I've been feeding the tank this way for at least 3.5 years now with no Ill effects. The fish show no signs of malnutrition.

I guess i just have an overly maternal nature, I just love it when the fish eat so I tend to feed a couple times a day, just a few pellets here and there. I will feed frozen every other day. I am currently trying to fatten up an itty bitty naso tang so I am feeding him whenever he begs for food. lol

But I like to give them something everyday. And nori sheets are unlimited, I will put up 10 in a day if the tangs are eating it . lol

Do you have corals? If so I would feed at least everyday with the presence of flame angle. So it don't snack on your corals.

I disagree with they don't eat everyday in nature. They may not eat a lot per time but they do eat something daily. Tides are what bring food and there are two high or low tides per day. So I will say fishes get 2 meals per day plus snacks. This is just my thinking and I have no science to back me up.

I feed twice a day but very small amount. Feeding also keep fish active. They are constantly looking for food instead of just hiding all day.

Can they handle staving? Yes. I have had times that I don't feed them for days. So feed less often is probably ok as long as they get the amount of food they need. But I would be cautious about them snacking on corals and knocking down corals while they are snipping on rocks and stuff.

Feeding a fish is not going to guarantee it's not going to eat coral.
Fish aren't starving when not fed daily. Trust me.

Excellent. I love this forum. Everyone offers priceless advice. It almost seems, to me, that it's ok to go any way. But I agree with the being careful not to over feed. I do not desire to increase nitrates and phosphates. Thanks everyone. I started every other day this week. I'll keep a close eye on fish and params.

Personally I feed every day. But when im away in the summer the fish are fed every other day. Though in the end its really up to personal opinion and expierience.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom