Feeding Star Fish Immitation Crab/Lobster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a sea star the other day (Serpant Sea Star). I know they eat clams, dead shimp, and the like, but was wondering:

1) If I could leave some immiation crab/lobster in the tank for him (apparently Meijers had a sale, so my mom stocked up).

2) How often should I feed the star, I feed the anemone mysis/brine shrimp but I doubt the star fish will find the little scraps leftover. When is the best time to feed him

3) Another Question, should I not get a Flame Scallop with a Sea Star, Mussels and clams seem to by the prefered diet of most stars, or will a well fed star not bother the scallop?

1. I doubt the immitation would have enough or the proper nutrients for the star.
2. The star should be able to find some extra leftovers or you could try spot feeding near him.
3. The flame scallop and scallops don't really do well in home aquariums. I love them, but doubt I would add one unless I was sure I could keep him alive.

1) If I could leave some immiation crab/lobster in the tank for him
I would be very concerned with nutritional value and water quality issues with this. not for the home tank.
How often should I feed the star, I feed the anemone mysis/brine shrimp but I doubt the star fish will find the little scraps leftover. When is the best time to feed him
Your star does not need any additional feedings. they are great scavengers and will get the left-overs as suggested.
Another Question, should I not get a Flame Scallop with a Sea Star, Mussels and clams seem to by the prefered diet of most stars, or will a well fed star not bother the scallop?
You should not get a flame scallops to begin with. very poor survival rating in captivity. They require several target feedings of phyto to survive. the amount needed to sustain a flame scallop will almost certainly degrade water quality to the point it will be counter-productive. Sorry...just not a good choice.

I like to target feed my serpent star to avoid any potential predation, and also my fish tend to eat the majority of the food before it gets to it. I target feed it occasionally. If you choose to target feed, your going to want to feed it meaty seafoods or commercial frozen foods, no imitation meat or oily fish ie salmon, etc. If you hold food near the star it will sense it and come out to get it, right out of your figers if you let it. Usually when acclimated they will come out at feeding time. I would not recommend leaving any uneaten food items in the tank.

The crab meat is mostly made with alaskan pollock a good fish. The problem would come from all the additives to make it taste like crab and to remain fresh. It will get the nutrition from the crab , but I would be worried about all the rest for the long term.

Heeding your guy's advice, I tried target feeding him mysis with a turkey baster. I had my doubts that the shrimp wouldn't stay on the groud, or that the star wouldn't be able to pick them up (I had only ever seen starfish eat, vaccuuming clam insides).

I was amazed the way he actually used his arms like fingers, snagging the small mysis, and putting them in his mouth. When I first put him in a few days ago, and hadn't seen him since, I thought, "That was a waste". But him eatting earned 'awe'

How long do they live for, I couldn't find a lifespan estimate, he's a Tiger Serpant Star

produceb said:
alaskan pollock a good fish
The meat of that fish is white right? AFAIK white fish tend to be oily, and are to be avoided as food in aquariums. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.
HC, the star will appreciate larger food items as well. It would also be more easily consumed, and lead to less water pollution from uneaten food. I've never heard of serpents being short lived, so I would think 5 years plus would not be extraordinary. I've had one for several years that has grown from ~3" to over 6". Considering many get to be over a foot, I think it'll be around for awhile. They are very interesting animals!

I feed my anenome every other day--one uncooked raw shrimp--I put a few small pieces on the substrate which are devoured immediately by the crabs, and stars.
The awesome strength of an emerald--I seen one take a piece of crab twice his weight in size with one claw and give the finger(oops claw) with the other to a Clarkie trying to hone in on his dinner.
Tangster

Back
Top Bottom