Feeding time questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TLTGF

Aquarium Advice Addict
In the continual seach for answers on how to have happy, lively fish I have come upon a question that I'd like to see how you all feel.

Background: I recently purchased a Flame Angel and before him I had a group of Chromis. I've been feeding the fish a variety of "Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Flakes", frozen mysis, and attempted Rod's Food. On the occasions that I've clipped up Rods, or even broken it up like "flakes" nothing will even give it more than a sniff.

When I feed the fish now, the Chromis just about jump out of the water trying to eat all the flakes, while the Flame sits mid-tank and eats the "left-overs" or anything that makes it past the chromis. Also, the Flame angel has only been in tank for five days.

Question: What's do you feel is the best diet to feed, and what are your feelings about flake vs pellet or mixed?

Question 2: On Saturday I will be picking up a Diamond Goby, are pellets the best way to get food down to the floor level?

Thanks for the advice / opinions!

I feed my tanks quite a selection of different foods. I feed flake and pellets everyday and every other day I feed a combination of frozen foods. I mix up the frozen everytime. I use brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, chopped clams, emerlad entree, rods food (though most of my fish dont like the big chunks) and several other preparations.

I feed my biocube frozen twice a day as I have a scooter and mandarin in there so they need specialized feeding.

A good trick to get the slower fish toeat is to use a turkey baster. When I stick that in my 125g the watchman I have literally swims up to the tip and tries to get the food out. LOL He's also the only one who actually likes the ords food, go figure.

How long has your tank been setup? Diamond gobies are MAJOR sand sifters and get their food out of the sand. In a new tank there usually isnt enough live food in the sand yet for them. Main reason why I havent gotten one yet. Perhaps the sinking pellets will be enough for him, not sure on that one.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out and if you have any other questions. Pictures are always a plus too ;-)

Thanks for the tip - I've always known you had some happy fish! My tank has an interesting scenario - the sand bed is about 3" deep and the sand itself is nearly 10 years old. The person that I bought my tank from transferred the sand from a previous tank he had setup, and before I got the setup the sand bed was in my tank for 4+ years. There is a ton of life in my sand, so I'm pretty sure it'll be fine. What do you think?

Here's some pics of feeding time this morning:

Oh you'll be fine then. Some people want them in new tanks and I was just being cautious. :)

One will probably do great in your tank with an established sand bed like that.

Good luck!! Tank looks awesome btw! Love the rockwork!

Thanks! I try to err on the side of caution myself. You'll see me posting "advice" and opinions on here all the time now. I spent about a year waiting to join just researching, but now it seems that answering others questions is actually helping me to become a better learner and teacher.

Love AA - well addicted.

Thanks again. Over the next (4) or so weeks I'll be adding a six line wrasse, (2) b&W clowns, diamond goby, royal gramma, (2) skunk cleaners, and lots of corals!

Just gotta keep the bioload monitored! Not in a hurry, just excited.

I know the feeling, I am acclimating a few specimens and can't wait to get them in their tanks. :)

Looks like a good list, nothing stands out as having any issues with each other so thats always good. :)

Yup - I did lots and lots of research before picking my crew - My goal was to have color at every level in the tank. ie. Chromises swim on top, goby at the bottom, flame in the middle, clowns... well they're everywhere, gramma middle to low, wrass mid to low.

Hopefully my master plan works out!

Any other invert suggestions? I don't want to overcrowd, but for now (2) skunk cleaners. I had initially wanted (2) CBS maybe some emerard or pom pom's, but I just think the crabs would be lost and the CBS's would be too crowded with the SCS's - My tank is a 54 gallon corner.

On a side note - my Koralia 750 is shipping sometime between tomorrow and Monday, so I'll be evaluating flow and either getting another 750 or possibly a 1050 or even a 550 depending on flow - I know you really like your flow!

Coral banded have to be in mated pairs so you know, cant just get 2 misc ones. :) The pom poms are way too tiny, I have one in my 4g and it gets lost int here even. lol

I recently added some emerald crabs adn they seem fine so far, dont' see much of them though.

If it were me I;d have 2 750 koralias in that tank, I had two in my 55g and it worked out perfect for me. :)

Thanks - I didn't know about the CB! Yay! I learned something new! Love that! I was already thinking no with the other crabs. My 1st thought was two 750's as well. Being a corner tank, there isn't the same 4' length as a 55, its only 38" x 27" x 22"... But I'm hoping the (2) 750's will be fine, but I'd hate to have too much flow. :)

Yup, I've got a 15 gallon sump full of LR, no refugium, and no skimmer. My return is a Marineland ??? :) It says its rated at 474gph, but I'd guess 200.

PS - since I've started going mixed reef, a skimmer is in my near future.

Sounds great! You can always run one if the flow is too much, I alternate in my 125g since I have ALOT and I mean ALOT of flow. I try to turn on 1400 off at night to give the fish and corals a break. lol

Do you know how much room you have in your sump for a skimmer? or will you be going hang on back type?

Based on the layout of my current sump, there is NO room, however, I still have a good amount of area in my stand, soooo, I'm thinking of breaking down the current sump and placing a larger one that would enable an in-sump skimmer. Any ideas?

Based on everyone here it seems that Octopus is the way to go, but didn't you have a eshoppes that you liked too?

I was on a budget and found an eshopps psk 150 for $100 bucks so I jumped on it. Other than some tweaking Ihave been very satisfied with it. I also run an aquac remora in my 55g and I have had 0 problems with it even though others have. Maybe it's just luck lol

If you have the money I would invest in a refugium type sump so you could fit everything in there and get the benefits of a sump, refugium AND a skimmer.

You may be able to put a small tank in there and do a DIY type deal but I can't help ya there, I;m a premade kinda girl. LOL

Yup, that was my plan from the beginning - $ ins't really an issue, this is my only REAL hobby, so as fast as I can find it, I should have it coming.

Any suggestions on places to find good pre-made's? I'll be researching, but I love to use your knowledge too.

What are the dimensions you can fit underneath? They do make compact sumps but I'd need the real life numbers to find one. length you can fit in and depth too. Also not sure but you are probably ok with height. that might come into play later though when you shop for a skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom