Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2004, 09:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Feeding your Fish

Do fish stop eating when they get full? Or do they just eat whatever is in front of them. My fish always look hungry and will eat everyting...but I don't want to overfeed them. What should I do?

I keep my filter and skimmer and everything else in my sump. How will my tank stay clean if i just have an overflow skimming the top of my water into the sump? Doesn't all the leftover food and debris sink to the bottom of the display tank?

Old 01-25-2004, 01:02 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Do fish stop eating when they get full? Or do they just eat whatever is in front of them. My fish always look hungry and will eat everyting...but I don't want to overfeed them. What should I do?
They will eat and eat and eat and eat. Most SW fish are not like gluttonous goldfish and eat until they explode, but most will eat more than is healthy for them. Feed no more than your fish can eat in a couple of minutes once per day. If you want to feed multiple times, cut the time down to one minute.

Quote:
I keep my filter and skimmer and everything else in my sump. How will my tank stay clean if i just have an overflow skimming the top of my water into the sump? Doesn't all the leftover food and debris sink to the bottom of the display tank?
Thus is the need for waterflow in the tank. A strong return pump with a couple of returns and a few strategically placed powerheads or closed loop or whatever you choose for water movement, can keep the detritus off the bottom and in suspension until it is removed by the overflow and skimmer.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 02:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
In addition, a good cleanup crew consisting of reef hermits, snails, shrimp, conchs etc...will help in taking care of leftover food and keeping the substrate clean as well as controlling algaes.

Tags
feeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com